Re: [Beekeeping] Re: Hive Inspection Questions

    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 31, 2012
      >>>  I'm in the Atlanta Metro Area, a little to the northeast. I'm thinking
      the major nectar flow is over for now, but am not 100% sure.

      Usually, in residential areas, especially large ones, the honey flow continues for quite a while due to all the floral sources being provided by residential landscapes.  There is an abundance of floral sources that are continually being watered and thus having their nectaries primed.  Keep plenty of storage space available for any excess honey the bees might come up with.

      Mike in LA

    • Thomas Powell
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 8, 2012

        I have had ants in my feeders a few times in the past as have many of you.  I have read through all the cures and decided that they were not worth my time or trouble for the short period of time the feeders are used each year.

        Well I just boxed a very small swarm and if they are going to have any chance at all at making it they have to get really busy but ants are going nuts on this one.  I have used a Borax based insecticide (Tero) before for ants in the house and man it really works well.  Problem at the hive is keeping it from the bees assuming that they would be attracted to it too.  I decided to make a cage for the bait station that would allow the ant’s access but not the bees.  I wish I had taken a pic the first night; they went NUTS over it emptying the station overnight.  Second filling I put in two stations which they have emptied in a day or two.  I just put in one more which will probably be the last.  The ants have greatly subsided and should be gone in the next day or two.

        Just some info for ya,

        Thomas

      • Thomas Powell
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 8, 2012

          Has anyone come up with a motor/speed controller that adapts pretty well to their hand cranked extractor?  I sure wish I had spent the extra money at the time and bought the motorized one……….

          Thanks for any info,

          Thomas

        • gpendrak
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 9, 2012
            Well, there was this motor in the corner and a belt and some gears and ... why not.

            You can see it at:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6p8XDKMEI4

            Gary
            in Avon Park, FL
            with about 20 hives.

            --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Powell" <tppjr@...> wrote:

            > Has anyone come up with a motor/speed controller that adapts pretty well to
            > their hand cranked extractor? I sure wish I had spent the extra money at
            > the time and bought the motorized one....
            >

            > Thanks for any info,
            >

            > Thomas

          • Pam

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 9, 2012
                Thanks, looks like it works which is all that matters. Just don't have the time so I ordered the conversion kit. Thanks for the info though.

                iPhone

                On Aug 9, 2012, at 5:49, "gpendrak" <gm111376@...> wrote:

                Well, there was this motor in the corner and a belt and some gears and ... why not.

                You can see it at:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6p8XDKMEI4

                Gary
                in Avon Park, FL
                with about 20 hives.

                --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Powell" <tppjr@...> wrote:

                > Has anyone come up with a motor/speed controller that adapts pretty well to
                > their hand cranked extractor? I sure wish I had spent the extra money at
                > the time and bought the motorized one....
                >

                > Thanks for any info,
                >

                > Thomas

              • Thomas Powell
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 9, 2012
                  Just some screen I had laying around. As long as the holes are big enough for the ants and small enough to keep out the bees it should work.
                  iPhone

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 21, 2012
                    I was going to get a manual one, too. My husband thinks he can spin it with his power drill. Do you think that will work?

                    --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Powell" <tppjr@...> wrote:

                    > Has anyone come up with a motor/speed controller that adapts pretty well to
                    > their hand cranked extractor? I sure wish I had spent the extra money at
                    > the time and bought the motorized one....
                    >

                    > Thanks for any info,
                    >

                    > Thomas

                  • Christopher Rappitt
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 1, 2012
                      How about using spacers under the hive covered in Vasaline, unless you have the bridge building Ant variety. Air under hives also helps with damp and mites too.
                    • Nick Holmes
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
                        Should work, in theory, I've seen it done before.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
                          >>>    Has anyone come up with a motor/speed controller that adapts pretty well to their hand cranked extractor? I sure wish I had spent the extra money at the time and bought the motorized one....

                          Really need to know about your extractor to be able to give good information.  But, that being said, W T Kelley has a power conversion kit.  If you have their catalog, it's found on page 99.  Prices vary depending on the setup you order.  Here it is on their page on the internet:  https://kelleybees.com/Products/#cat=3330&srch=373036663737363537323230363336663665373636353732373336393666363936653230366236393734&sort=3334&page=3330&category=

                          Good luck.  Let me know how your conversion goes if you decide to do it.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 26, 2013
                            >>>    Has anyone come up with a motor/speed controller that adapts pretty well to their hand cranked extractor? I sure wish I had spent the extra money at the time and bought the motorized one....

                            >>   Here it is on their page:

                            You have to go to the second page on that web page to see the power conversion kit.  Sorry about that.  Thought it would come up on the first page to show.