Re: Multifeeders

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 10 10:05 AM
      Enter the terms "bee multifeeder" in Google photos and you'll get an idea of what they look like. Better yet, visit your local bee store and ask to look at one.

      From the outside? It basically looks like a honey super. but on the inside, rather than frames, there are two deep tubs. The center is open at the bottom and also lined with protective wire. This is how bees access the sugar water that you pour into the multifeeder.

      Brilliant idea. Just brilliant. Wish I'd seen this a long time ago. If you've got an active, healthy colony of bees? Trust me, the sugar water isn't going to go bad. If it does stay in there long enough to go bad, then you've got a bigger problem than spoiled sugar water.

      Have you ever mixed a solution of sugar, water and red food coloring for hummingbirds? That lasts for weeks in a jar. As long as you keep the top of the multifeeder tightly covered, you'll be fine.

      Or, if you want to see a display of bees attacking one another, don't fasten it securely and watch WW III erupt.

      Bill

      --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Crzy-Pony <crzybishma@...> wrote:

      > What does it look like please
      > Marlene

    • Crzy-Pony
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 10 2:52 PM
        Oh I have something similar to that--- We call it a hive top feeder. Thanks
        Marlene
        Enter the terms "bee multifeeder" in Google photos and you'll get an idea of what they look like. Better yet, visit your local bee store and ask to look at one.

        From the outside? It basically looks like a honey super. but on the inside, rather than frames, there are two deep tubs. The center is open at the bottom and also lined with protective wire. This is how bees access the sugar water that you pour into the multifeeder.

        Brilliant idea. Just brilliant. Wish I'd seen this a long time ago. If you've got an active, healthy colony of bees? Trust me, the sugar water isn't going to go bad. If it does stay in there long enough to go bad, then you've got a bigger problem than spoiled sugar water.

        Have you ever mixed a solution of sugar, water and red food coloring for hummingbirds? That lasts for weeks in a jar. As long as you keep the top of the multifeeder tightly covered, you'll be fine.

        Or, if you want to see a display of bees attacking one another, don't fasten it securely and watch WW III erupt.

        Bill

        --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Crzy-Pony <crzybishma@...> wrote:

        > What does it look like please
        > Marlene

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            Beekeeping-digest@yahoogroups.com
            Beekeeping-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Marilyn Holter
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 10 5:06 PM
          Hi again and thank you for the update. I did do hummingbird feeders and still do,when the water got cloudy in a couple ofdays I was told it has gone "bad". that was why my confusion and question. Thank you again. I am getting a lot of wonderful information here and you all are so kind and patient. will check the suppliers on this. marilyn

          Enter the terms "bee multifeeder" in Google photos and you'll get an idea of what they look like. Better yet, visit your local bee store and ask to look at one.

          From the outside? It basically looks like a honey super. but on the inside, rather than frames, there are two deep tubs. The center is open at the bottom and also lined with protective wire. This is how bees access the sugar water that you pour into the multifeeder.

          Brilliant idea. Just brilliant. Wish I'd seen this a long time ago. If you've got an active, healthy colony of bees? Trust me, the sugar water isn't going to go bad. If it does stay in there long enough to go bad, then you've got a bigger problem than spoiled sugar water.

          Have you ever mixed a solution of sugar, water and red food coloring for hummingbirds? That lasts for weeks in a jar. As long as you keep the top of the multifeeder tightly covered, you'll be fine.

          Or, if you want to see a display of bees attacking one another, don't fasten it securely and watch WW III erupt.

          Bill

          --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Crzy-Pony <crzybishma@...> wrote:

          > What does it look like please
          > Marlene

        • Carol Zaworski
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 10 5:12 PM
            You may also want to check the 4 jar feeder sold by Walter t Kelly company, they fit over your inner cover.

            Carol z

            Sent from my iPad

            On Jul 10, 2012, at 5:06 PM, Marilyn Holter <pampersafehouse@...> wrote:

            Hi again and thank you for the update. I did do hummingbird feeders and still do,when the water got cloudy in a couple ofdays I was told it has gone "bad". that was why my confusion and question. Thank you again. I am getting a lot of wonderful information here and you all are so kind and patient. will check the suppliers on this. marilyn

            Enter the terms "bee multifeeder" in Google photos and you'll get an idea of what they look like. Better yet, visit your local bee store and ask to look at one.

            From the outside? It basically looks like a honey super. but on the inside, rather than frames, there are two deep tubs. The center is open at the bottom and also lined with protective wire. This is how bees access the sugar water that you pour into the multifeeder.

            Brilliant idea. Just brilliant. Wish I'd seen this a long time ago. If you've got an active, healthy colony of bees? Trust me, the sugar water isn't going to go bad. If it does stay in there long enough to go bad, then you've got a bigger problem than spoiled sugar water.

            Have you ever mixed a solution of sugar, water and red food coloring for hummingbirds? That lasts for weeks in a jar. As long as you keep the top of the multifeeder tightly covered, you'll be fine.

            Or, if you want to see a display of bees attacking one another, don't fasten it securely and watch WW III erupt.

            Bill

            --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Crzy-Pony <crzybishma@...> wrote:

            > What does it look like please
            > Marlene

            =
          • Marilyn Holter
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 10 6:24 PM
              I will and thank you.

              Enter the terms "bee multifeeder" in Google photos and you'll get an idea of what they look like. Better yet, visit your local bee store and ask to look at one.

              From the outside? It basically looks like a honey super. but on the inside, rather than frames, there are two deep tubs. The center is open at the bottom and also lined with protective wire. This is how bees access the sugar water that you pour into the multifeeder.

              Brilliant idea. Just brilliant. Wish I'd seen this a long time ago. If you've got an active, healthy colony of bees? Trust me, the sugar water isn't going to go bad. If it does stay in there long enough to go bad, then you've got a bigger problem than spoiled sugar water.

              Have you ever mixed a solution of sugar, water and red food coloring for hummingbirds? That lasts for weeks in a jar. As long as you keep the top of the multifeeder tightly covered, you'll be fine.

              Or, if you want to see a display of bees attacking one another, don't fasten it securely and watch WW III erupt.

              Bill

              --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Crzy-Pony <crzybishma@...> wrote:

              > What does it look like please
              > Marlene

            • sydwool
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 11 10:41 AM
                Sugar syrup can go 'off' but a little bleach or essential oil will prevent that happening.

                It takes very little to prevent spoilage. The tap water we drink has been treated with bleach chlorine or an equivalent. Sometimes the odor out of our faucets is so strong one leans backwards.