Re: [Beekeeping] not making comb

  • SUE YEAGER
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 9, 2012
      I put a 3 pound package in each hive to begin with.  I would estimate that the remaining three hives (one was without bees this noon and mud dobbers had moved in) have less than half of what was put in initially.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 9, 2012
        >>>  I set up Four new hives in April.   They do not appear to be making comb. No new cells are visible.

        Do they have queens?  Is there any brood?

        Mike in LA

      • Dale Tongue
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 9, 2012

          All responses are good so far.  The queen question is important.  The question I would ask once the queen is verified is…..did you put a pollen patty or a brood patty in with the colony?  That should want to make her start laying, and would have to have comb to do so.

          Dale

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 9, 2012
            there is no brood but they made some comb.  I can't tell whether or not there are queens.  Being very much a novice I'm not sure how to tell the differences.

            Do they have queens?  Is there any brood?

            Mike in LA

            >>>  I set up Four new hives in April.   They do not appear to be making comb. No new cells are visible.

          • Crzy-Pony
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 10, 2012
              You need to find a local Bee keeper to help you or get some good books. Your State Agriculture Dept can help you find someone or a local club.
              Good Luck
              Marlene