Re: [Beekeeping] Package Installation question

  • Gary Glaenzer
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2012
      Don't 'tap it against the hive'; as you said this irritates the ones already in there

      Grab the package with both hands, slam it on the ground firmly, the bees will fall to the bottom, invert it and shake them out like salt into the hive or on the entry board.

      You may have to do this a couple times to get most of them out; the secret is to not allow them time to re-orient themselves after the 'slam'.

      Gary

      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2012

        Totally agree with Bruce. Why slam and shake the bees when you can lay the box in a deep super and walk away. Did the slam and shake method once. Much easier to let the bees leave on their own. The bee package box will be empty by morning!

      • Bill
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2012
          I go with Gary and the tough love approach. Bees are not going to do what you want them to do. When I purchased my first and only package, I was instructed to remove the can blocking the bees from getting out, turn it upside down, and give it a mighty big WHACK.

          That's just what I did. The bees dropped out and into the hive below.

          They were not very happy. This is why I hate packaged installations. I'm all for the wild swarm route.

          Bill