Hive Inspection

  • Carrie Hardee
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 13 7:09 AM
      Hi,
      I was just wanting to find out how often you all inspect your hives.  Some have said every two weeks, but that seems to often to me.  However, I might be wrong, so I thought I'd get some experts to advise.
      Thanks,
      Carrie in Florida

    • carol zaworski
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 13 9:31 AM
        I am not an expert, but the only way to learn is to get into the hive, I found a mentor that goes out with me once a month or so, in addition, I get into my hives EVERY week during the months april-oct.  I have learned so much. This year (my second year) I will probably get into the hives 2x month. Next year, play it by ear.  I am a strong proponet of every week your first year of beekeeping. and keep good records. Hivetracks.com is a good site to help you keep records and it is free.  You can't learn unless you just get into it and often.

        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 13 7:01 PM

          Thanks, Carol!  I appreciate the feed back.  It's been a month since I checked my bees, so I think I'll check them out tomorrow.  Take care.

          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 13 9:07 PM

            My first year I did inspections on my nucleus hives every two weeks—checking that the queen was laying well and keeping track of their comb building so I new when to add the next box.  Once things ramped up later in the season I made a real effort to try to leave them alone so they could be productive.  I would mostly do a brief check when adding a super.  I would make a point to look down between the frames. month.  Every time the hive is opened bees often get killed, although accidentally.  It also disrupts their productivity.  My mentor said that he could tell exactly what was going on inside the hive just from watching on the outside.

            After he told me that I made a point to spend time observing the bees outside.  I took lots of notes and video, all from the outside.  I would even put my ear against the hive to listen (that’s how I learned about queen piping).  I find now that I can tell when things are going well and when it’s time to check because something looks off.

            Barbara

            Ontario, Canada

            http://thebeejournal.blogspot.ca/

            I am not an expert, but the only way to learn is to get into the hive, I found a mentor that goes out with me once a month or so, in addition, I get into my hives EVERY week during the months april-oct.  I have learned so much. This year (my second year) I will probably get into the hives 2x month. Next year, play it by ear.  I am a strong proponet of every week your first year of beekeeping. and keep good records. Hivetracks.com is a good site to help you keep records and it is free.  You can't learn unless you just get into it and often.

          • sharonm
            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 14 5:00 PM
              Where and how does one find a mentor.   I’m getting bees tomorrow – and must say that I’m really scared of having to put them into the hive.

              sharon in auburn

              Sent: Friday, April 13, 2012 9:31 AM
              Subject: Re: [Beekeeping] Hive Inspection

              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 14 11:30 PM
                Sharon, there are beekeeping clubs all over the country.  If you're in Auburn, WA, for instance, you could Google "King County Beekeeping club" or "Auburn WA Beekeepers" or even "WA state beekeeping club".  No matter where you are, there's going to be a club in your town, your county or at least your region.  They would be my first suggestion.

                Second suggestion is to find the nearest beekeeping store, even if it's a few hours away, and call them to ask about local beekeping clubs.  They should have that information.

                Third suggestion - don't be too nervous about introducing your package tomorrow.  Package bees don't have any comb or honey stored up, so they have nothing to defend.  Bees sting mostly to defend either their hive or their honey, or if they are about to be squashed in some way.  Wear your protective gear, follow any printed instructions that come with your bees (ask for instructions if they are not offered), and just move slowly and cautiously.  I was very nervous too for our first package, and it went really smoothly.  I look back now and think "wow, I didn't need to worry so much".

                If you don't have instructions either from the place you're getting your bees, or from books or searches on the Internet, post here and I'm sure we'll be able to come up with something.  Best to find a mentor locally, but introducing a package of bees is straightforward enough that we can help with that.
                Kathryn Kerby
                frogchorusfarm.com
                Snohomish, WA
                Ruminations - essays on the farming life at frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html

                Sent: Friday, April 13, 2012 9:31 AM

                I am not an expert, but the only way to learn is to get into the hive, I found a mentor that goes out with me once a month or so, in addition, I get into my hives EVERY week during the months april-oct.  I have learned so much. This year (my second year) I will probably get into the hives 2x month. Next year, play it by ear.  I am a strong proponet of every week your first year of beekeeping. and keep good records. Hivetracks.com is a good site to help you keep records and it is free.  You can't learn unless you just get into it and often.

                I was just wanting to find out how often you all inspect your hives.  Some have said every two weeks, but that seems to often to me.  However, I might be wrong, so I thought I'd get some experts to advise.
                Thanks,
                Carrie in Florida

              • Annie Moon
                Message 7 of 30 , Apr 15 6:12 AM
                  Are you inAuburn, MA ? I could help you with your install until you find someone if you are that close.

                  Anne

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  Sent: Friday, April 13, 2012 9:31 AM

                  I am not an expert, but the only way to learn is to get into the hive, I found a mentor that goes out with me once a month or so, in addition, I get into my hives EVERY week during the months april-oct.  I have learned so much. This year (my second year) I will probably get into the hives 2x month. Next year, play it by ear.  I am a strong proponet of every week your first year of beekeeping. and keep good records. Hivetracks.com is a good site to help you keep records and it is free.  You can't learn unless you just get into it and often.

                  I was just wanting to find out how often you all inspect your hives.  Some have said every two weeks, but that seems to often to me.  However, I might be wrong, so I thought I'd get some experts to advise.
                  Thanks,
                  Carrie in Florida

                  =
                • sharonm
                  Message 8 of 30 , Apr 15 6:14 AM
                    Thanks, I have read books and watch movies and there are so MANY bees in that package, that it is scary, but I will take a deep breathe and just do it.

                    Sent: Saturday, April 14, 2012 11:30 PM

                    Message 9 of 30 , Apr 15 8:29 AM
                      sharonm <smassena>:  I’m getting bees tomorrow – and must say that I’m really scared of having to put them into the hive.

                      Educational videos which might help ease your stress in installing packages.

                      Brushy Mountain educational videos
                      http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Resources/Videos.asp

                      Installing package bees video

                      http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/downloads/14April09_PackageInstall.wmv

                      Mike in LA
                    • Bill
                      Message 10 of 30 , Apr 15 8:35 AM
                        Sharon,

                        The first attempt at hiving a colony is always the scariest. Most people have a natural fear of bees, unless they've grown up around beekeeping. I didn't grow up around it. I still can't get near a swarm without a good suit on.

                        You're going to love your new hive. There's just something special about a colony of bees in the backyard. They are always there. They are always with you. And the yard seems empty if they leave (CCD). Although you may fear working around them, you miss them so much that you can't wait to get another colony. And then a second. And then you're hooked.

                        The only way you're going to get comfortable working around bees is to work around them and keep asking questions. At some point, and I can't tell you when, it just becomes second nature. This is my fourth year of beekeeping. Good luck.

                        Bill
                        Sacramento, CA

                        PS: If you're in Auburn, CA, there is a beekeeping club in Sacramento -- a large chapter. But there are many Auburns across this great land...

                        --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "sharonm" <smassena@...> wrote:

                        > Where and how does one find a mentor. I’m getting bees tomorrow â€" and must say that I’m really scared of having to put them into the hive.
                        >
                        > sharon in auburn
                        >
                        > From: carol zaworski

                      • sharonm
                        Message 11 of 30 , Apr 15 9:43 AM
                          thanks – I watched and now I’ll go pick up the bees.   Scared as I am,   I CAN do this.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Apr 15 1:27 PM
                            Here’s the initial report on how that went.   ]
                            1.  Had full bee suit on so was not worried about being stung
                            2.  Tried to take cork out of queen unit – went in instead of out and she flew out
                            3.  Now dumped most of bees into the hive and put her tiny box on entrance to hive.
                            4.  Took transport unit about 8-10 feet from hive and covered with cardboard box so rest of bees would leave.

                            So less than perfect and I truly hope this queen figures out that she would be really happy inside the beehive.

                            Message 13 of 30 , Apr 15 1:28 PM
                              And when these bees settle down I have another group to try to get into their hive.   These bees suits with gloves are a marvel – at least there was no fear and I didn’t get stung on my first attempt.

                              --- In mailto:Beekeeping%40yahoogroups.com, "sharonm" <smassena@...> wrote:

                              > Where and how does one
                              find a mentor. I’m getting bees tomorrow â€" and must say that I’m really scared of having to put them into the hive.

                              > sharon in
                              auburn

                              > From: carol zaworski

                            • Sherill Ryan
                              Message 14 of 30 , Apr 15 2:16 PM
                                Check them in a few days and see if you see any eggs. Otherwise, see if whoever you got them from can get you a new queen ASAP or send you to someone who can.

                                Glad you didn't get stung! That's a plus.

                                Message 15 of 30 , Apr 15 4:03 PM
                                  thanks –2nd box of bees went like it should.   However I came in the house to take off the bee suit = next time will do that outside.    Oh, my life is just full of lessons
                                  sharonm

                                  Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2012 2:16 PM

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Apr 15 5:43 PM
                                    I found my mentor thru my Bee Association. I can't tell you how much he has taught me. Join your local association.

                                    Carol Z

                                    Sent: Friday, April 13, 2012 9:31 AM

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Apr 15 7:18 PM
                                      thanks.   The people that I purchased from walked me through it in the store and then on the phone when I got home.  they were really terrific and my fears were mostly unfounded.   However, I did wear a full suit.   Without that I think I would not have felt to calm.

                                      Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2012 5:43 PM

                                      Sent: Friday, April 13, 2012 9:31 AM

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Apr 16 1:36 PM
                                        <<There's just something special about a colony of bees in the backyard. They are always there. They are always with you.>>

                                        Makes me think of the old (English?) custom of "telling the bees."  If anything important happened in the family--birth, death, marriage, illness, good fortune, whatever--someone was supposed to go to the hives and quietly share it with the bees, or they might be hurt and leave...

                                        Rhonda

                                        Sidesaddle Hall of Famer
                                        Five-time US National Sidesaddle Champion
                                        ASA Instructor
                                        SSA A Instructor, Panel Judge (R)
                                        ARIA Level III Instructor (ss, reining, riding to hounds)
                                        Author: The Western Sidesaddle, Encyclopaedia of the Sidesaddle, Sidesaddle's Greatest Ideas

                                        American Sidesaddle Association
                                        The Side Saddle Source

                                        CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message (including all attachments) is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, copying or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

                                      • Nick Holmes
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Apr 17 2:58 AM
                                          <<There's just something special about a colony of bees in the backyard. They are always there. They are always with you.>>

                                          Makes me think of the old (English?) custom of "telling the bees."  If anything important happened in the family--birth, death, marriage, illness, good fortune, whatever--someone was supposed to go to the hives and quietly share it with the bees, or they might be hurt and leave...

                                          That superstition, about telling the bees if their keeper dies, is from a poem...

                                        • Sherill Ryan
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Apr 17 6:26 AM
                                            That poem gives me the chills. Very forlorn...Thanks for sharing.
                                            I can just picture the hives draped in black.
                                            <<There's just something special about a colony of bees in the backyard. They are always there. They are always with you.>>

                                            Makes me think of the old (English?) custom of "telling the bees."  If anything important happened in the family--birth, death, marriage, illness, good fortune, whatever--someone was supposed to go to the hives and quietly share it with the bees, or they might be hurt and leave...

                                            That superstition, about telling the bees if their keeper dies, is from a poem...
                                            http://www.poetry-archive.com/w/telling_the_bees.html
                                          • KSzu
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Apr 18 12:24 PM
                                              I went to a Blessing of the Bees event this past weekend in California. A group of women who sing a capella Bulgarian style folk songs took us through a ceremony that they had learned from grandmas in Bulgarian villages. They mentioned this custom of telling the bees when the beekeeper dies is done in Bulgaria, has been done for centuries.