Re: It's SWARM Season!

  • Sherill Ryan
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 9, 2012
      I am not sure that just because you have a swarm that you'll know its a wild swarm. How do you know it didn't come from the packaged bees in the apiary down the road? Just a thought.

      I've extracted bees out of buildings and bees out of trees and variable luck with the ones in the trees and the ones in the buildings. Just some food for thought. I wouldn't discourage people from getting bees just because they haven't the chance or experience to catch a wild swarm.

      Sherill
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 10, 2012
        Sherill,

        Because there is no apiary "just down the road." I suppose it could have split from another backyard hive, that started as a packaged hive, but that is also highly unlikely given the surrounding area.

        The mighty Sacramento and American Rivers that spawned the great California Gold Rush do course through this area. In fact, the banks of the Sacramento River are just mere blocks away. Given that much of the area around these rivers is now protected parklands, kept in a wild state, my guess is the swarm probably came from there.

        You have a point with you posting. Remember, I was merely relating my own personal experience and personal preference. I prefer wild swarms over packaged hives. But that's just one beekeeper's preference. Remember the rule? Ask ten different beekeepers the same, the same exact question?

        Bill
        Sacramento, CA