Bee Symposium - is attendance worthwhile?

  • Laurelap Przybylski
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2012
      Hi All,

      I received this in email and wondered if anyone here has ever attended their past symposiums?

      Tickets available at www.beekind.com

      MORNING SESSION: 9:00 to Noon
      Morning presentations by Serge Labesque

      THE IMPORTANCE OF SMALL-SCALE BEEKEEPERS
      Because of their sheer numbers and of their freedom from
      business-imposed constraints, small-scale beekeepers can help ensure
      a bright and healthy future for bees.  We will explore how they can
      best do this, regardless of the number of colonies they keep.

      FROM CONVENTIONAL TO TREATMENT-FREE BEEKEEPING
      Recounting how he began keeping bees without relying on any
      treatments for pests or diseases, Serge will explore the reasons why
      using conventional methods can be detrimental to the bees.  He will
      outline the principles that support his treatment-free approach to
      beekeeping.

      LEARNING FROM THE BEES
      Honey bees have thrived for millions of years without our help.
      Observing how they spontaneously organize and use their nest cavities
      can provide valuable lessons for building and managing bee colonies.

      BEEKEEPING EQUIPMENT
      All hives can be improved.  This presentation will expand on the
      previous one, and will show examples of simple modifications to
      standard equipment that provide bees with beneficial nesting sites.

      AFTERNOON SESSION 1:00 to 5:00
      Short presentation PANNA, Pesticide Action Network of North America
      Hive Management Throughout the Year
      (Presentation by Serge Labesque) Understanding the needs of the bees
      and facilitating their work through responsive hive management
      practices are the foundation of good colony health and enhanced hive
      productivity.  This presentation will give an overview of the main
      events in the beekeeping season.

      COLONY PROPAGATION AND QUEEN REARING
      (Presentation by Doug Vincent) Doug will explain the techniques he
      uses in propagating his colonies and in producing queens from his own
      local hives.
      Pest and Disease Control Without Treatments
      (Presentation by Serge Labesque)Keeping bees healthy without relying
      on any treatments for pests or diseases can be very simple.  Serge
      will outline the methods he uses in his apiaries to address bee
      health issues.

      QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
      Serge, Doug & Audience

      Serge Labesque is a passionate Sonoma County beekeeper who over many
      years has experimented with different methods of keeping bees. Serge
      has designed and fabricated his own beekeeping equipment.
      He is the author of numerous articles that have been published in
      beekeeping magazines of national distribution, and was the recipient
      of the Western Apicultural Society 2006 Thurber Award for
      Inventiveness.

      Doug Vincent is the owner of Beekind Honey Shop & Beekeeping Supply
      in Sebastopol. Doug maintains over 150 hives locally and has been
      teaching a series of beekeeping classes yearly and selling honey,
      bees and equipment for 8 years through the Beekind store in
      Sebastopol.

      The Annual Bee Symposium is sponsored by Beekind Honey Shop &
      Beekeeping Supply

      INTRODUCTION TO BEEKEEPING with Doug Vincent
      SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 18th
      12:30 PM to 3:30 PM
      $10.00 RSVP
      Setting Goals, bee biology, acquiring hives, supplies, and placement
      of bees with instructor Doug Vincent. Q & A allowed.
      SAN FRANCISCO FERRY BUILDING
      UPSTAIRS PORT COMMISSION ROOM
      One Ferry Building, San Francisco

      following link:

      http://cts.vresp.com/u?98b1889252/9c7bbf6384/mlpftw

      This message was sent by beekind Honey & Beekeeping Supply Shop using
      VerticalResponse

      beekind Honey & Beekeeping Supply Shop
      921 Gravenstein Hwy. South
      Sebastopol, California 95472
      US

      Read the VerticalResponse marketing policy:
      http://www.verticalresponse.com/content/pm_policy.html