Re: No Honey

  • baldbeeman
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 11, 2011
      My first idea is to ask you to describe the state of your now-5 hives in terms of health and honey/beebread stores going into autumn. It's a lot of work for honey bees to get well established in a new hive, so it's not uncommon for a hobbyist to have no surplus to harvest. I imagine you might have started out new bees in new hives with no drawn combs?

      I don't know what your weather or nectar/pollen conditions were this spring and summer. Obviously that plays a huge role no matter what "quality" of bees you're keeping. I myself have some hives in three very different environments in a 30-mile radius. Last year I did consistently poor in one location, but this year that location was better than the others combined.

      If you're a new beekeeper, I'd say your main issue now is to be concerned with the ability of your 5 colonies to survive the winter. See if you can measure their mite load (infestation rate). Determine how well the hives are populated. Make sure there is proof the hives each have a live queen, keeping in mind even a good queen will lay very few new eggs in your location at this time. Determine how much honey and beebread the bees have put up for themselves, and how well it's arranged in the hive.

      If at all possible, get another experienced beekeeper to look at your hives with you. Experience is the best teacher. No class, book or Website could really teach me how a healthy vs. sick bee hive would smell, sound, behave, etc., but an on-site mentor can sure help you with this.

      Baldbeeman
      Front Range Colorado

      --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "monseybeez" <abraham.bruck@...> wrote:

      > Last year I had 2 hives and harvested 36+ pounds of honey.
      >
      > This year I have 5 hives and am able to harvest 0 pounds; not an ounce or honey available!
      >
      > Any ideas? I'm in Rochester County, NY about 30 miles north or Manhattan.
      >
      > Thanx!

    • Abraham Bruck
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 11, 2011
        Thanx for the quick response.

        Of the 2 hives last year; one was much stronger than the other. Both went thru the winter just fine.

        In the spring, I was about to split the hives on a Sunday afternoon: that morning one of the hives swarmed and since I did not know which one, I split them both and hived the swarm; hence the 5 current hives.

        A week later I had another swarm (I don't know from which hive) and I was in the middle of hiving them when I had to go off to work and the lawn guys came that day and scared them all off.

        Three of the hives are really active, as far as bees flying to and fro and they are coming back with good loads.

        The weather here was really rainy all summer; lot's of flooding, etc. Very few really hot days: last year the bees hung out outside the hive at night for weeks, this year maybe a day or 2.

        They all seem to have a good laying queen and plenty of store for the winter; but they just don't seem to want to produce extra.

        The other difference is that last year I gave them sugar water for a few weeks; this year, none.

        Thanx!

        On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 9:30 AM, baldbeeman <bullmouse@...> wrote:

        My first idea is to ask you to describe the state of your now-5 hives in terms of health and honey/beebread stores going into autumn. It's a lot of work for honey bees to get well established in a new hive, so it's not uncommon for a hobbyist to have no surplus to harvest. I imagine you might have started out new bees in new hives with no drawn combs?

        I don't know what your weather or nectar/pollen conditions were this spring and summer. Obviously that plays a huge role no matter what "quality" of bees you're keeping. I myself have some hives in three very different environments in a 30-mile radius. Last year I did consistently poor in one location, but this year that location was better than the others combined.

        If you're a new beekeeper, I'd say your main issue now is to be concerned with the ability of your 5 colonies to survive the winter. See if you can measure their mite load (infestation rate). Determine how well the hives are populated. Make sure there is proof the hives each have a live queen, keeping in mind even a good queen will lay very few new eggs in your location at this time. Determine how much honey and beebread the bees have put up for themselves, and how well it's arranged in the hive.

        If at all possible, get another experienced beekeeper to look at your hives with you. Experience is the best teacher. No class, book or Website could really teach me how a healthy vs. sick bee hive would smell, sound, behave, etc., but an on-site mentor can sure help you with this.

        Baldbeeman
        Front Range Colorado

        --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "monseybeez" <abraham.bruck@...> wrote:

        > Last year I had 2 hives and harvested 36+ pounds of honey.
        >
        > This year I have 5 hives and am able to harvest 0 pounds; not an ounce or honey available!
        >
        > Any ideas? I'm in Rochester County, NY about 30 miles north or Manhattan.
        >
        > Thanx!

        All the Best ! הצלחה רבה

        Abraham Bruck
        718-687-8805 cell
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        check this out <- click here

      • TPPJR

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 11, 2011
              Washinton State. Was no reason not to have honey this year. Was a bizarre summer, or lack thereof.

              iPhone

              On Oct 11, 2011, at 9:51, Abraham Bruck <abraham.bruck@...> wrote:

              Where are you located?

            • kakerby@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 11, 2011
                Where in WA state?  Eastern or western?  We're in Western WA, and we had a late, short, cool summer.  I can very easily believe that not all hives would have had time or honey flow enough to build up a decent honey surplus.  I'm not taking any honey from either of my hives this fall, given the forecast for another long, cold winter.  Bleh.
                Kathryn Kerby
                frogchorusfarm.com
                Snohomish, WA
                Ruminations - essays on the farming life at frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 11, 2011
                    Join the crowd. Third year and no honey yet!!

                    Don't change anything, don't expect different results.  Look at your forage area.  Is there sufficient forage for your bees to make surplus?  I don't know.  I'm just saying that three years without a crop, you need to change something, maybe the location of your bees.

                    Mike in LA
                  • roger g
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 12, 2011
                      Problems here too. 14 collonies last yr =4 made it thru winter. bought 6 carni queens in spring and made nukes. with removals and swarms now have 15 hives. built up real nice in spring then drought consumed al stores, had to start feeding. then the rains came and had some spurts of necter but not emough.
                      I've been feeding about 100# of sugar weeklyto build up for winter. roger NJ

                      --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Mike S <mws1112004@...> wrote:

                      > Join the crowd. Third year and no honey yet!!
                      >
                      > Don't change anything, don't expect different results.  Look at your forage area.  Is there sufficient forage for your bees to make surplus?  I don't know.  I'm just saying that three years without a crop, you need to change something, maybe the location of your bees.
                      >
                      > Mike in LA

                    • Abraham Bruck
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 12, 2011
                        That sounds like a good idea: to feed them now ...

                        On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 7:35 AM, roger g <toad08551@...> wrote:

                        Problems here too. 14 collonies last yr =4 made it thru winter. bought 6 carni queens in spring and made nukes. with removals and swarms now have 15 hives. built up real nice in spring then drought consumed al stores, had to start feeding. then the rains came and had some spurts of necter but not emough.
                        I've been feeding about 100# of sugar weeklyto build up for winter. roger NJ

                        --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Mike S <mws1112004@...> wrote:

                        > Join the crowd. Third year and no honey yet!!
                        >
                        > Don't change anything, don't expect different results.  Look at your forage area.  Is there sufficient forage for your bees to make surplus?  I don't know.  I'm just saying that three years without a crop, you need to change something, maybe the location of your bees.
                        >
                        > Mike in LA

                        All the Best ! הצלחה רבה

                        Abraham Bruck
                        718-687-8805 cell
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        check this out <- click here

                      • Nigel D
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 12, 2011
                          Here in Arkansas we have been feeding since late June and they still have virtually no stores for the winter. Rain, rain, rain followed by super dry and super hot is to blame. We got zero honey.

                          --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "roger g" <toad08551@...> wrote:

                          > Problems here too. 14 collonies last yr =4 made it thru winter. bought 6 carni queens in spring and made nukes. with removals and swarms now have 15 hives. built up real nice in spring then drought consumed al stores, had to start feeding. then the rains came and had some spurts of necter but not emough.
                          > I've been feeding about 100# of sugar weeklyto build up for winter. roger NJ
                          >
                          > --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Mike S <mws1112004@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Join the crowd. Third year and no honey yet!!
                          > >
                          > > Don't change anything, don't expect different results.  Look at your forage area.  Is there sufficient forage for your bees to make surplus?  I don't know.  I'm just saying that three years without a crop, you need to change something, maybe the location of your bees.
                          > >
                          > > Mike in LA

                        • TPPJR
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 13, 2011
                            Didn't say I hadn't changed anything just no honey.

                            iPhone