Thank you for all of the great information you provide!!! Got a question on an open air hive...

  • featherhead58@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2011
      Happy Monday--Thank you so much for being here and so willing to share your knowledge! I have read a great deal of your information but need some more detail. I wanted to ask your advice...
      We have an open air hive in our area. I saw it for the first time last week, I went out again yesterday and they're still building out comb, even though fall is coming to N Florida. These bees are next to a horse pasture with a pine forest and goldenrod patches. Why would they choose an open air hive? The prevelant trees in the area are pine and oak hammocks. They are in a traffic area for horses, people and maintenance vehicles. No problems have been reported.

      I have 2 hives and would like to have one more!

      Anyway, some friends and I want to capture the hive and avoid having it die over the winter--yes, it really gets that cold here (Tallahassee, FL). The landowner is totally cooperative. I have ordered a new hive box and more frames for their housing, so I'll have a new home for them by next weekend. The tree limb is 12' high and the hive is 5' from the trunk of the tree.
      My questions are:
      How would you go about talking them down?
      Will the comb be soft or sturdy enough to secure into frames?
      Should I smoke them first? Mist with sugar water on the hive and box? What order of activity?
      Shake them down into the box with some frame foundation and then secure their come in the exact sequence?
      Should I leave them at the site for a couple of days or bring them right home after blocking the entrance with screen.
      I don't have a bee vac.
      The size of the hive is slightly larger than a deep hive--If I don't put them into frames for the winter, I could stack a deep and medium box with them on the limbs (cut to fit) and rework them in the spring. It seems like it would be even more of a mess next spring if I do that.

      We have about a month of temperate weather before cold nights really kick in. They don't seem to have much for stores--the cluster, of course, is very tight!

      I'm trying to plan a sequence of events so I can have a solid plan without a great deal of indecision while going through the steps!! Attached are photos--thank you VERY, VERY much!!!!

      --
      Lisa Lazarus

      For bee friends--Latitude 30 degrees

      Help to support local animal rescue and rehab organizations!

      BIRDLAND...Parrots For Life

      Florida Wild Mammal Association

      by the way its animals are treated" ~Gandhi (1869-1948)
      wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
      She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite
      what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that
      keeps a parrot ~ Mark Twain