FW: [Beekeeping] Feeding survey

  • Long Beach HoneyBee
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 8, 2011
      Message
      Carrie,

      You need to mention your City, State and possibly Country when posting a question like this. Each climate is different.

      Here in Long Beach California, there is mostly mild weather all year long. I use screened bottom boards all year. As long as my hives are bringing in pollen and have or are storing honey, I do not feed. Typically around December or January I start offering them sugar syrup if they no longer have honey stores.

      If your hive has no honey stores, then definitely feed as much as they want. When you see honey/sugar syrup stores filling out around the brood are you might want to cut back on feeding. The same goes for pollen and pollen patties.

      Henry Kurland

      Long Beach Honey

       562-427-2114  LongBeachHoneyBee@...

        --

        Help to support local animal rescue and rehab organizations!

        BIRDLAND...Parrots For Life

        Florida Wild Mammal Association

        by the way its animals are treated" ~Gandhi (1869-1948)
        wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
        She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite
        what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that
        keeps a parrot ~ Mark Twain

      • Carrie Hardee
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 9, 2011
          Thanks a bunch!  I'm in sunny Gainesville Florida.  Carrie

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 9, 2011
            Message
            Gainesville Florida. Must be hot and humid most of the year.

            I would definitely use screened bottom boards and have a top vent or entrance so humidity doesn't build up.

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 9, 2011
              Carrie,

              Bees generally do quite well on their own and most times don't really need sugar water to survive. Bees surived on their own before man started keeping them in the backyard, and will continue to do fine. Most commercial beekeepers, who work hives for pollination and harvest honey, do feed sugar water. The sugar water serves as a replacement for missing honey stores.

              Sugar water will also keep bees moving around the clock, because they have a constant and unending supply of food and nutrients.

              But I'll tell you this much. Two years ago, my first year with a hive, I fed sugar water daily. Every single day without fail. My colony failed. Colony collapse disorder. One day they were there. The next day they were gone.

              Last year I received a "wild" or "feral" colony that a friend trapped. I think I fed it sugar water twice, and then decided to just leave the bees alone.

              The hive split five times this spring. Massive amounts of bees. Massive amounts of honey in the supers and in the hive body itself. I don't do anything to that colony other than waive "hi" and move to the next part of the yard.

              So, it's your decision. But you don't really need to DO anything. As long as you have a good supply of pollen producing plants in your neighborhoo, your bees are going to just fine. And you will have a nicely pollinated yard to boot (lots of blooms).

              Bill
              Sacramento, CA

              PS: Be advised that the colony can get "aggressive" when pollen sources dry up during the winter. You can and will get stung for the crime of delivering sugar water to the hive. Remember -- bees are insects. They don't think. They react instinctively. Do not wear dark clothing anywhere near the hive. Buy yourself a beginner's beekeeping book and understand this much: There is no accepted BIBLE of beekeeping. If you ask ten different beekeepers the same question? You're likely to get ten different answers.

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 10, 2011
                Yes, very humid!  Thanks for the information.

                Carrie