Feeding survey

  • theparrotlodge
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 30, 2011
      I live in Tallahassee Florida, I have 2 first year hives and we've had a drought this year. I've been supplementing the bees with sugar syrup and am about to install pollen patties. I wanted to know what everyone else is doing, feeding and for how long? Thanks! Lisa
    • james macilveen
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2011
        Be REAL careful with the pollen patties, they attract small hive beetles like nobodys business

      • featherhead58@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 4, 2011

          Not using them! Thanks! I'll go for the real stuff!

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 6, 2011
            >>> Be REAL careful with the pollen patties, they attract small hive beetles like nobody's business.

            >Not using them! Thanks! I'll go for the real stuff!

            Even using the "real stuff" the beetles will go after the pollen if not controlled by the bees in the hive.  Real stuff or pollen substitute patties, makes on difference to the small hive beetles.

            Mike in LA
          • featherhead58@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 6, 2011
              Good to know, thanks!! We got a little rain last week and the pollen started flowing again--got mucho rain this weekend so I'm hoping that will take us to goldenrod season!

              On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 10:50 AM, Mike S <mws1112004@...> wrote:

              >>> Be REAL careful with the pollen patties, they attract small hive beetles like nobody's business.

              >Not using them! Thanks! I'll go for the real stuff!

              Even using the "real stuff" the beetles will go after the pollen if not controlled by the bees in the hive.  Real stuff or pollen substitute patties, makes on difference to the small hive beetles.

              Help to support local animal rescue and rehab organizations!

              BIRDLAND...Parrots For Life

              Florida Wild Mammal Association

              by the way its animals are treated" ~Gandhi (1869-1948)
              wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
              She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite
              what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that
              keeps a parrot ~ Mark Twain

            • Carrie Hardee
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 6, 2011
                Hello,

                I'm just starting out.  I just got a hive a bees for my birthday.  Best birthday present ever!  I have a couple of questions that I hope someone with experience can help me understand..

                My hive has a screened bottom board.  Will this be okay during winter?  I'm not sure which is better, screen or solid wood bottom board?  It's a single super.

                Also, I was told to feed my bees sugar water at least twice a week.  There is a hole at the top of the super to place an inverted jar for this.  Should I continue feeding them like this all winter?

                I have not inspected my hive yet myself, but the fellow we got it from did and advised that it was good and heathy.  He told me to wait at least a week before I inspect it so the bees could get aquanted with their new invirerment.

                I appreciate any advice.  I'm so excited about my bees.  I just don't want to loose them.

                Thank you so much!
                Carrie

                Good to know, thanks!! We got a little rain last week and the pollen started flowing again--got mucho rain this weekend so I'm hoping that will take us to goldenrod season!

                On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 10:50 AM, Mike S <mws1112004@...> wrote:

                >>> Be REAL careful with the pollen patties, they attract small hive beetles like nobody's business.

                >Not using them! Thanks! I'll go for the real stuff!

                Even using the "real stuff" the beetles will go after the pollen if not controlled by the bees in the hive.  Real stuff or pollen substitute patties, makes on difference to the small hive beetles.

                Help to support local animal rescue and rehab organizations!

                BIRDLAND...Parrots For Life

                Florida Wild Mammal Association

                by the way its animals are treated" ~Gandhi (1869-1948)
                wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
                She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite
                what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that
                keeps a parrot ~ Mark Twain
              • Nigel D
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 6, 2011
                  I am up in NW Arkansas with two first year hives. We have been feeding for 2 months due to an extremely wet spring/early summer followed by a really long dry spell leading to one of the worst dearths people around here remember.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 6, 2011

                    We've had the hottest and driest summer on record! But I think my hives fimally caught up and even equalized. I'll know more this weekend. We started getting raiment last week. Pollen started appearing and I stopped feeding.
                    Lisa...Tall, fl