straining

  • roger g
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2011
      extracted some honey from winter kills and crushed and trying to strain from topbar hives. Having touble straining both,sems the screens are plugging up from the crystilized honey. What can i do to strain it?????????????has wax in to roger
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8, 2011
        Having trouble straining both, seems the screens are plugging up from the crystallized honey. What can i do to strain it?

        Put the mass of crushed comb and honey in a solar melter.  It will melt the honey crystals first before it heats up hot enough to melt the wax.   BUT.....   You will want to decant the melted honey off BEFORE the wax starts to melt.  When the temperatures get that high, it starts degrading the quality of the honey.

        Mike in LA

      • roger g
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 9, 2011
          Thanks mike but i got it. I put the buckets of honey in a deep sink and run some hot tap water in and let it set fot couple hrs while i took my grandson fishing :-) . worked great, poured some in and by the time i wiped the lip of bucket and set it dowm most hace run thru, ouildn't beleave 4 1/2 gal run thru in less than 10 minutes. roger NJ