i am in the process of buying bee hives. need handling answers

  • cgmlawns
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 5, 2011
      i am buying a few hives from a family that is getting out of bees.
      they come with brood chamber and super . i will be traveling 100 miles with them in a back of a open pick up.
      1. face the opening toward the tail gate?
      2. staple screen and screen off the opening?
      3. go pick them up at dusk?
      4. how can i keep the lid secure? temporary screw it to the side of the super or ratchet strap each hive down?
      5. in the morning before dusk if i have to or does it matter,place the hives in possession in my bee yard and remove the screen?

      if i got this correct great! if not please tweak this process for me
    • Crzy-Pony
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 6, 2011
        Good Morning

        you will want to do your moving at dusk or a bit after dark to insure all bees are home, very quietly put a screen or something over the entrance you only need thumb tacks to hold it in place,just make sure it is secure, ratchet strap the hive together and place in the back of truck Be sure to tie down the hive so it won't slide around in the truck bed. Make sure you have your new location prepared leveled and of course a good spot before hand. place hive and leave them alone for a bit for them to settle, remove strap and screen . go to bed That is the way I would proceed
        Good Luck

        i am buying a few hives from a family that is getting out of bees.
        they come with brood chamber and super . i will be traveling 100 miles with them in a back of a open pick up.
        1. face the opening toward the tail gate?
        2. staple screen and screen off the opening?
        3. go pick them up at dusk?
        4. how can i keep the lid secure? temporary screw it to the side of the super or ratchet strap each hive down?
        5. in the morning before dusk if i have to or does it matter,place the hives in possession in my bee yard and remove the screen?

        if i got this correct great! if not please tweak this process for me

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            Beekeeping-digest@yahoogroups.com
            Beekeeping-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Christopher Rappitt
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 6, 2011
          On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Crzy-Pony <crzybishma@...> wrote:

          Good Morning

          Find out which way your frames are facing before you decide which way round to put your hives in transit or you will squash your bees when you brake! Dont forget to feed them and dont leave them in direct sunlight when you get them home or they will clear off like a swarm did  that i picked up the other day. I have not been keeping for long but one thing i have learned is get more than one opinion because the devil is in the detail and top tips get left out also beware of false info because people talk garbage sometimes. good luck.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 6, 2011

            I agree with the advice given so far.  I would add, to have your veil with you because bees can sting/fly at night.  Also have a flashlight handy in case you need to see where you’re going.  Clear the pathway at the site so you won’t trip in the dark.  If someone is helping your carry be sure to communicate where you want the hive, etc.  I once had a non-beekeeping friend helping and we wanted to shift the hive forward.  He put his hands on the super and planned to push it forward, not realizing that the boxes are resting on top of each other—so that’s a good point to convey.

            The reason for the entrance facing to the back toward the road is so wind doesn’t blow inside, but more important (as mentioned in another email) is that the frames be parallel to the vehicle so that when you drive, brake or go over bumps they’ll rock end to end and not slam together and possibly squash your queen.

            Be prepared to have to smoke them into the hive when you pick them up.  If it’s very dark but a warm night the bees often hang out on the front porch.

            I agree about letting them settle a bit.  Opening the hive at night is good to let them get used to the area before daylight.

            The worst stings we’ve had when moving hives at night (we moved one last night) were from mosquitoes!  So a long sleeved shirt and pants can come in handy.

            I often duct tape the sides and back of the hive to prevent the boxes from separating and it works great – but be sure it’s smoothed down well and removed once the hive is in place because the bees can get caught in it.

            If the hive comes with a super, you should have a second super with frames/foundation ready for them once they have about 7 of the 10 frames either filled with honey or drawn with comb.

            If the super provided has foundation only and no comb and you’ll be feeding syrup I wouldn’t worry about giving them syrup the night you arrive.  It can wait until the next day.

            Congratulations on becoming a beekeeper!

            Barbara Lindberg

            Ontario, Canada

            http://thebeejournal.blogspot.com/