Re: [Beekeeping] Advie on weak hime

  • Nick Holmes
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4, 2011
      might like to look at why the hive is dwindling... varroa? disease?

      are they starving due to the 'june gap'? I had a starving hive right by a healthy hive and they picked right up when I gave them light syrup (1lb sugar to 1 pint water)

      was the queen fertilized when you requeened or a virgin?

      to boost numbers in the short term you could take a frame of capped brood from the strong hive and put it in the weak hive. I would not swap a frame from weak to the strong one though incase it is disease.

      You could take some bees on the frame too, if you icing sugared the bees well on there first, to disguise the smell of the queen otherwise they will fight when you put them in.

      On 4 July 2011 02:24, sherill lockwood <sherillynn@...> wrote:

      Do you see any capped brood? Or eggs? If neither are present, you can do one of three things.
      1- You can order a new queen
      2- You can take a frame of eggs and larvae from your strongest hive and let them make their own queen. This will take a while and if the hive is already dwindling, and potentially they will die out before there is brood hatching
      3- You can add the bees that you have in the weak hive to one of your other hives using the newspaper method. This will at least make use of them and not waste them.

      Hope this helps.
      Sherill

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 4, 2011
        Hi...what is the newspaper method?

        Connie Anderson
      • David Laird
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 4, 2011
          Last summer I had a hive that did what you are describing.  Instead of losing the hive I mereged it with a stronger hive.  Of course if you decide to do this, you need to make sure you remove the queeen from the weak hive.

          Dave

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 5, 2011
            Mike,

            It's so late in the season that only a nuc transfer would work, but it sounds like you've got a weak queen as well. That happens with packaged hives. It happened to me twice. I thought I was a failure until a friend gifted me with a wild colony and my fortunes have since reversed.

            It sounds like you need a new queen and a nuc transfer and even that may not do it. It's July my friend. This is when pollen sources begin to dry up. Best of luck to you.

            Bill

            --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Nick Holmes <wwwcight@...> wrote:

            > might like to look at why the hive is dwindling... varroa? disease?
            >
            > are they starving due to the 'june gap'? I had a starving hive right by a
            > healthy hive and they picked right up when I gave them light syrup (1lb
            > sugar to 1 pint water)
            >
            > was the queen fertilized when you requeened or a virgin?
            >
            > to boost numbers in the short term you could take a frame of capped brood
            > from the strong hive and put it in the weak hive. I would not swap a frame
            > from weak to the strong one though incase it is disease.
            >
            > You could take some bees on the frame too, if you icing sugared the bees
            > well on there first, to disguise the smell of the queen otherwise they will
            > fight when you put them in.
            >

            > On 4 July 2011 02:24, sherill lockwood <sherillynn@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Do you see any capped brood? Or eggs? If neither are present, you can do
            > > one of three things.
            > > 1- You can order a new queen
            > > 2- You can take a frame of eggs and larvae from your strongest hive and let
            > > them make their own queen. This will take a while and if the hive is already
            > > dwindling, and potentially they will die out before there is brood hatching
            > > 3- You can add the bees that you have in the weak hive to one of your other
            > > hives using the newspaper method. This will at least make use of them and
            > > not waste them.
            > >
            > > Hope this helps.
            > > Sherill

          • David Laird
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 5, 2011
              The newspaper method is used to merge a weak hive with a strong one.  You take a piece of newspaper place it on top of the brood box of the strong hive, cut a few slits in the paper and  place the hive to be merged on top of the newspaper , thus creating a temporary barrier.  By the time the bees eat through the newspaper the bees will accpet each other.

              Dave

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 6, 2011
                I want to thank everyone who responded to my request.   I was able to start feeding them, although they did not accept the syrup at first.  Because of different reasons, I wasn't able to do an inspection till today.  What a surprise to find out that robbing was occurring. To anyone who doesn't think they will recognize robbing, it is the most violent war amongst bees.  I immediately reduced the entrance to the hive and blocked my other hive entrances with grass. It appears the only hive in danger is the weak one.  To see bees fighting in that manner was a wakeup call. This afternoon  it had calmed down, but with dead bees all around the hive.  I guess at this point it's doomed. But who knows, depending on how many  survived, with feeding, it may survive.

                I'll keep you posted.

                Thanks all,
                Mike Z.