RE: [Beekeeping] Re: Question about bee cluster

  • Barbara Lindberg
    Message 1 of 20 , May 25, 2011

      I suggest putting your name in with your local municipality as someone who will retrieve swarms.  A beekeeping friend in my area can’t keep up with removing bees from trees on city property.

      Barbara

      Ontario, Canada

      Message 2 of 20 , May 26, 2011
        One other thing I would add to Mike's observations -- since he lives in Southern California?

        Make DANG sure the swarm isn't Africanized -- otherwise you'll be treated to a short Dr. Suess story called "Run, Mike, Run. Watch Mike Run."

        I am so glad the progression of this strain stopped somewhere near Kern County. They just cannot survive the cold winters this far north.

        That's fine with me. I like my gentle Italians.

        Message 3 of 20 , May 26, 2011
          ...  add to Mike's observations -- since he lives in Southern California?

          I'm in one of the other LAs  -  Lower Alabama.

          Mike in LA

        • baldbeeman
          Message 4 of 20 , May 27, 2011
            I was lazy so I bought mine from
            http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Hipps-Swarm-Retriever/productinfo/270/ .
            The thing has paid for itself dozens of times over. I've caught swarms which others have looked up at 20 or so feet off the ground and said "No Way!" Many times its been very handy to work with a partner with a similar length pole saw/clipper of similar length. Lots of times we've been able to snip off a branch end with a swarm on it, drop it whole into the bucket, secure the lid before bringing it down. Otherwise by myself it's the bump and go with just the bucket retriever. Easy and fun.

            baldbeeman, Aurora CO

            --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Mike S <mws1112004@...> wrote:

            > I sure hope they give me a call for a swarm I can get to with a simple step ladder
            >
            > Get a five gallon bucket with lid, very stiff 1 1/2" PVC pipe or galvanized pipe (Be careful of electrical lines), a flange to fit on the end of the pipe, and a length of rope that's about five feet longer than the length of your pipe.
            >
            > Drill a hole in the bottom of the five gallon bucket, attach the pipe flange to the bottom outside of the bucket, and then run your rope up through the pipe into the pipe, through the flange on the bottom of the bucket, and out of the top of the bucket.  Drill a hole in the lid of the bucket large enough for the rope to run through (no larger) and run the end of the rope through that hole.  Tie the end of the rope off.
            >
            > When you attach the pipe to the bucket, the bucket will reach as high as the pipe is long plus your reach.  When you pull on the rope, it will pull the lid of the bucket over the top of the bucket sealing it temporarily.   When you get a swarm up high, but within reach of the bucket extension, put the bucket underneath the swarm, smack the bucket up under the swarm hopefully knocking most of the swarm off and into the bucket.  Immediately pull the rope to bring the lid up and over the lip of the bucket sealing the bees inside the bucket.   Keeping the lid tight against the bucket, bring it down and empty it into a waiting empty hive fixed up to receive the bees.  Then do as you think best.
            >
            > Mike in LA

          • Breckenridge
            Message 5 of 20 , May 27, 2011
              A little FYI on the AHB. I live on the Kern/Sanbernardino county line and have recovered two (2) AHB swarms in the past 4 years. The second of which I had Dept Ag come out and get some carcass samples to confirm what I think I know. As long as you are prepared for them when you get there it is not so bad. Not something for the queezy that's for sure.s