Dividing Hives

  • beekeepbrewer
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
      I am full of questions. I have read a little about dividing hives.
      I have 2 this year, but would like to have 4 hives next Spring. I
      plan on ordering two new Queens and dividing the hives. I am unclear
      about placement of the new hives in the beeyard. Or should they be
      transported to a new distant location? I have two locations
      available that are about 5 miles apart.
    • ROBERT J STOCKLEY
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2003
        Endless possibilities... If your present location can handle more bees then stay there...I've seen apiaries with 25 hives right next to each other but where I am...6 is plenty.

        Follow The rule of 3 for moving hives.(less than 3 feet or  the bees wont find their home... more than 3 miles or the bees will fly back to the spot where they came from)
        OK...assuming you will just put the 4 brood chambers on the bottom of each of the new hives then...I would put the queenless hives on the original locations and put the other 2 anywhere you want. Chances are that the forager bees from the hives at the new location will find their way back to the old locations.

        Oops...Your ordering new queens instead of letting the bees rear their own...OK...do the oppisite...Take a brood chamber from each hive and move it to your new location in the same yard (somewhere close by) leaving the queens at their original local...(I would do this when most adults are out foraging). Wait a day to put the new caged queens in the new local hives. Hopefully by then all the adults will have flown back to their original location and the young bees will be more accepting of the new queens.

        If you want to use the spots 5 miles away then I would still seperate and leave in same yard for a day before moving to let those old bees go back to old spot.

        Bob
        Lagrangeville, NY

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/MwgrlB/TM