Capturing Swarms - then what?

  • beekeepbrewer
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2003
      I am new to beekeeping. I started with two hives this last Spring.
      This year, I have had two calls to come pick up swarms from family
      members. I referred both to other beekeepers in my area. Next year,
      I would like to attempt capturing swarms. When you pick up a swarm,
      is there a way to combine the bees with a weaker hive without having
      them fight to the death? Should a swarm be kept separate for a time
      period, observed, and medicated(not a swarm in my beeyard, but from
      unknown origin)?
    • shanonstoy@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2003
        Morgan -

        Good choice letting someone else take care of the swarms this year.

        When I get a swarm, I keep them separately, house them, let them draw out their some comb - an easy way to get five frames of comb in a nuc - medicate and observe.  When I have combined them with another hive it has usually been several months later.  (Again, a personal choice)

        I use the newspaper method of integrating them.

        I'd recommend that you join your local beekeeping association and partner up with it's members and spend some time together learning stuff first hand - there is no better way of doing things than hands on with a mentor.

        Martin
        BG, KY

        In a message dated 9/2/2003 11:50:25 PM Central Daylight Time, hankins@... writes:

        I am new to beekeeping.  I started with two hives this last Spring.
        This year, I have had two calls to come pick up swarms from family
        members.  I referred both to other beekeepers in my area.  Next year,
        I would like to attempt capturing swarms.  When you pick up a swarm,
        is there a way to combine the bees with a weaker hive without having
        them fight to the death?  Should a swarm be kept separate for a time
        period, observed, and medicated(not a swarm in my beeyard, but from
        unknown origin)?

      • Crenn
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2003
          We don't bother to quarantine swarms that are obviously strong and swarming when conditions seem right for swarms (i.e. Spring with a good honey flow).  Weak swarms at weird times we keep seperate.  When we combine 2 colonies or when we are introducing queen cells and we've had some hatch early we spray all the bees with a squirt bottle of sugar water with mint in it.  The mint overpowers there pheremones enough that they don't try to kill eachother and by the time they are all done cleaning themselves up they seem to get along just fine.  If the colony being added to another is weak or queenless we don't even bother with this.  We just shake them into their new homes.  Don't medicate as a standard practice.  This tends to build up resistance and can be harmful in the long run.

          Caitlin

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/MwgrlB/TM