Feeding a New Package

  • NCBootman
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 27, 2011
      I installed a new package of bees on April 15. The bees have obviously found food sources because there is a constant parade of bees coming in loaded with a dark or a lighter pollen depending on the bee. I knew I had to feed sugar syrup for a week or so. The bees are consuming about a half a gallon a day from an entrance feeder. Are they needing this syrup for food still or are they now storing it for honey? This is my first hive so will have a lot of questions. I am located in western NC if that makes a difference.

      NCBootMan
    • Crzy-Pony
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 27, 2011
        The need the sugar syrup to make wax . Feed them as long as they are taking it
        Marlene

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 27, 2011
          If I need to feed as long as they are taking it, I have a problem! I was told a week when I got the bees. Well, it’s been a little over two weeks and I have to be away next week. What can I do? I do have a small entrance feeder too and could put both the small and large which does limit the entrance but maybe I need to do that. Any ideas?

          NCBootMan

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 27, 2011
            NCBootman wrote: I need to feed as long as they are taking it .....

            With packages, you need to feed until they are starting to fill out the 9th and 10th frames. And to get them to do that you need the swap the two outside frames, 1 and 10, with frames 3 and 8. At that point they will start drawing and filling the 9th and 10th frames. Put a super on, keep an eye on the stores the bees have and let them have at it. Generally, when there is a good honey flow on, and the bees are of a good stock, they will stop taking feed, sugar Syrup, and work only the naturally available feed.

            > I have to be away next week. What can I do?

            Check and see how they are in the way of stores in the frames they have drawn. A three pound package should have about two to four frames of capped and uncapped stores of "honey" on the edges of the comb they are using for brood. If they have that amount and you feed right before you leave, they should have enough stores to carry them through the week you will be away. North Carolina should be in the beginning of a good honey flow at this time of year.

            Mike in LA
          • Alan Fox
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 28, 2011
              Hi Marlene I've been told when making a nuc hive to place two brood and one frame of honey and two of wax foundation , but have never been told to feed to get them to make wax?. Most nuc hives don't have room for a feeder.  Alan

              The need the sugar syrup to make wax . Feed them as long as they are taking it
              Marlene

              I installed a new package of bees on April 15. The bees have obviously found food sources because there is a constant parade of bees coming in loaded with a dark or a lighter pollen depending on the bee. I knew I had to feed sugar syrup for a week or so. The bees are consuming about a half a gallon a day from an entrance feeder. Are they needing this syrup for food still or are they now storing it for honey? This is my first hive so will have a lot of questions. I am located in western NC if that makes a difference.

              NCBootMan

            • roger g
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 28, 2011
                If you have an extra deep you could go to a farm store and get chick waterers and fill and put in top covered with empty super. They hold a gal. and you don't really disturb hive to fill. I like them much better than front feeders, you have to take some rough sandpaper and sore up the base so bees can get a foothold to get out easier if they fall in. goodluck roger

                --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "NCBootman" <ncbootman@...> wrote:

                > If I need to feed as long as they are taking it, I have a problem! I was told a week when I got the bees. Well, it’s been a little over two weeks and I have to be away next week. What can I do? I do have a small entrance feeder too and could put both the small and large which does limit the entrance but maybe I need to do that. Any ideas?

              • BillOhio
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 28, 2011
                  I bought new paint buckets at a paint store, drilled small holes in the lid (or use a small nail, but that leaves burs which can clog up more easily) and used them inside a deep on top of the bars. They hold a gallon of syrup and, if necessary, a couple will fit on a hive. I've been using the same ones now for 8 years. The insides are coated so they haven't rusted. Price is (was) very reasonable, and I wound up selling 4 pints of honey to the store folks to boot. These days, though, I use a trick that a Scottish beekeeper mentioned. I take 5# bags of sugar and place them into a bucket of water so they are submerged until they are ready to fall apart, then stick the wet bag on top of the bars after making a slit in the bottom. The sugar hardens in the bag and the bees will totally consume the entire bag. Saves mixing syrup, cleaning and storing buckets, and they fit inside a medium instead of a deep. Downside is having to pull the bags off the hive for inspection when they're half consumed and full of irritable bees. I'm contemplating putting a piece of welded wire on top of the bars and setting the bags on that, so that I can lift the whole shebang off with no muss and little fuss.

                  I like to feed nucs, regardless of whether they have foundation or not. Stick another nuc box upside down on top as a cover, if you have to. Nucs can run out of food and starve pretty fast and when least expected.

                  Bill Huhman
                  Central Ohio

                  On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 7:33 AM, roger g <toad08551@...> wrote:

                  If you have an extra deep you could go to a farm store and get chick waterers and fill and put in top covered with empty super. They hold a gal. and you don't really disturb hive to fill. I like them much better than front feeders, you have to take some rough sandpaper and sore up the base so bees can get a foothold to get out easier if they fall in. goodluck roger

                  --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "NCBootman" <ncbootman@...> wrote:

                  > If I need to feed as long as they are taking it, I have a problem! I was told a week when I got the bees. Well, it’s been a little over two weeks and I have to be away next week. What can I do? I do have a small entrance feeder too and could put both the small and large which does limit the entrance but maybe I need to do that. Any ideas?

                • peter haywood
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 28, 2011
                    You were told right Alan, at least for UK bees.   You may need to feed a little in bad weather but you should be raising nucs when the weather`s fine if possible.  You can easily overfeed them and cause them to swarm, and if there`s a good nectar flow you may even need to remove fames of new comb which have been filled with nectar and replace with empty drawn combs to give the queen space to lay if you`re not hiving them straight away.  I find and inverted honey jar with a few holes puched in the lid makes a good feeder for nucs when required.  I always have the nucs in pairs, facing opposite directions,  with an empty super on top and a standard roof over that.  I can then put the feeders inside the super and directly over the 1.5" feed holes in the nuc crown boards.

                    Pete H

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 29, 2011
                      hey Alan How are you? Well I was told to feed for a new hive not a nuc . you can supplement a nuc to help them along. I also was told by an experienced Bee keep that feeding syrup helps the produce wax to build cells in a New hive. Oh well I am.still learning too so I take all the info I can get sort it out later
                      Marlene

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 29, 2011
                        Alan Fox wrote:  I've been told when making a nuc hive to place two brood and one frame of honey and two of wax foundation , but have never been told to feed to get them to make wax?.

                        Hi Alan and all,
                             I'm going to stick my two cents in.  Look at the resources that you have available in a nuc (listed in post above).  You have two frames of bees, mostly nurse bees and not foragers.  Granted two frames of bees and brood may not use a lot of food resources, but you only have one frame of honey and, hopefully, pollen.   You want those nurse bees to work mostly at taking care of the brood available and the new brood laid by your new queen, whether she's already mated or will be mated within the next week or so.  They also have to produce wax to draw out those two frames of foundation.  Wax production requires the bees to hang (festoon) within the hive and do little more than consume honey and convert it to wax scales.  They don't even participate in working that wax they produce into drawing out the foundation.  The more food, sugar syrup and pollen patties, that colony has right at hand; the less work the bees have to do in foraging for that food.  You want that colony to build up to a regular hive as quickly as possible, or at least to a full five frames of drawn comb, brood, and food resources.  Give the bees a break and make their job as easy as possible.  Feed 'em.  Don't take chances with your efforts with the nucs.  Give them, and yourself,  the best opportunity to be successful as you can.

                        Mike in LA

                      • NCBootman
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 29, 2011
                          Thanks everyone for your responses. I had another reply from someone who knows my area and was told that we are far enough along in the growing season that the bees will be ok to take away the syrup. But, I will definitely keep all of your great ideas for making a feeder for the future since I do hope to capture at least one swarm this summer. Thanks.

                          NCBootMan