Re: [Beekeeping] Re: Pollen sources

    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 7, 2011
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 8, 2011
        It's dumb luck really. I live in the suburbs -- in a brand new cookie cutter subdivision. These things are landscaped with the cheapest plants that landscapers can find -- and then advertised as "$15,000 in free landscaping!"

        As it turns out -- the cheapest -- most easily obtainable of plant life happens to be the pollen sources. Breath of Heaven for example is now in full bloom in front of every single home in the neighborhood and the bees are all over every single bush.

        There are miles upon miles of fields with mustard just now beginning to bloom -- and the bees are everywhere in those mustard fields.

        Rosemary is another plant that grows like a weed here. It's used for landscaping medians and other common areas. It is also starting to bloom.

        So -- yes -- in one respect -- I am lucky. But it's blind, stupid luck. I suppose you take it anyway you can get it.

        Bill