Re: [Beekeeping] Varroa mites

    Message 1 of 37 , Feb 12, 2011
      --- On Sat, 2/12/11, nsl2317 <ny2317@...> wrote:  ".... article on sick bees in the current American Bee Journal by Randy Oliver. In his article, he writes about infections by multiple viruses to the bees via Varroa mites......  I am concerned with the possibility of these viruses being transmitted to the beekeeper by bee sting .....

      Hi Nasser,
            I'm not an authority on viruses, but it's my understanding that most viruses are host specific, meaning that they affect a particular host and not others.  Understand that bees are insects and we are mammals.  There is a great jump between the biology of an insect and that of a mammal.  There are diseases that can make the crossover, but fortunately they are very limited in number.  In all the discussions I've monitored, your question is the first I've come across to pose this particular concern.   That doesn't mean it isn't a valid question and a valid concern.  I will pose the question on another discussion list in which I participate.  It's a good question and one that I don't think has been postulated to date.  I'll try to keep this list updated as to what people in the other discussion list think about the topic.

      Mike in LA

    • Alan Fox
      Message 37 of 37 , Feb 22, 2011
        I've been putting fondant in plastic bags placed straight on top of the brood frames or on the qx and making sure it covers most of the hive. Slash the plastic bag underneath a few times to let the bees in , This seems to have helped my bees as they haven't moved much put have come up for the fondant. I've rolled it flat with a rolling pin  to about 1/2 inch to an inch thickness Alan