First Winter

  • stoneridgesheepfarm
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2011
      It's been a particularly difficult winter here in NE USA. Significant snow fall each week since Christmas. We've got several feet of accumulated snow, with freezing rain falling on top today. Our 10th snow storm of the season is coming on Saturday, another next week.

      This is my first winter keeping bees, and I don't know exactly what I'm seeing. I've wrapped the hives and installed an upper entrance. On "warm" days -- 30 to 35 degrees (F) I see bees flying outside. I would have thought that they'd wait for temperatures in the 40s/50s for cleansing flights.

      On some days there are dead bees sprinkled around the snow outside the hives. I'm hoping these are previously dead bees that get thrown out while doing house cleaning, as opposed to bees that died before they could get back. I guess, since they're so close to the hives, it must be discarded bees.

      Wm.
      www.stoneridgefarm.com
    • Julie Bainbridge
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2011

        Sounds pretty normal to me.  My son (the real beekeeper) says a few bees sprinkled outside the hive is probably just due to housekeeping and is actually a good sign that the bees are OK

        We just had the storm that you’re expecting.  Lots of snow yesterday and beautiful drifts today...

        Julie

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2011
                    it was only the other day we had an e-mail I think it was from someone in Norway and the made their hives with  25mm insulation sandwhiched between pieces of ply and they had open mesh all through winter. Alan

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2011
            I've always said that my yard looks like black-n-white footage of WW1.

            The bees will get out, removing the dead or doing their business but if they hit the snow their doomed. Their body heat causes them to sink in the snow a bit. They struggle but can't take off, or, they can't disengage from carrying out the dead soon enough before the snow cold saps their strength. I see it all winter long, every winter. Nothing to worry about, but, sad none the less. We'd expect those bees to add to the over-winter population.

            Alan_Lakeview, NY

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 2, 2011
              Hi Stoneridge,
              The bees you see are probably the ones that are early out to empty themselves. If they fall on the snow, especially if there are deep footprints there, they cannot get up and freeze to death.
              You can have some jute sacks in front of the hives so they can land on something warmer.
              Mine did not start yet.
              Good luck
              Kamil

              --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Alan Fox <alan_foxy2000@...> wrote:

              >           it was only the other day we had an e-mail I think it was from someone
              > in Norway and the made their hives with  25mm insulation sandwhiched between
              > pieces of ply and they had open mesh all through winter. Alan
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Kamil
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 2, 2011
                Hi again,
                I had to catch a bus so I wrote my previous mail quickly. Now I am at the office, I can write in more detail.
                The number of dead bees in your hives after a cold winter is probably much higher than what the living ones can cope with during their normal housekeeping. Besides, if it is still cold, they will not leave their cluster.
                During Norwegian winters, we expect that about half or more of the bees die. Here is what we do first thing in the spring (about March):
                -Choose one sunny day without much wind to visit your apiary. Wait until the sun is high.
                -Take along one clean and desinfected hive-bottom, your scrape, a big cardboard box and a propane flaming apparatus with you.
                -Place the clean bottom besides the first hive and move the hive over.
                You will see a heap of dead bees on the old (dirty) hive.
                -Scrape these off the bottom to the cardboard box. Use your scrape to clean the bottom as much as you can.
                -Flame it in order to desinfect. Some virii are very resistant so do not spare the flame. It is OK if some of the board gets brown.
                -Move the hive back to its original position.
                -Use the flamed bottom to repeat the same procedure with the next hive.
                -When you are done with all the hives, take the (now full) cardboard box back home and burn it. It will smell horribly but it is necessary in order to avoid spread of disease.

                Kamil

                --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Kamil" <kamildursun@...> wrote:

                > Hi Stoneridge,
                > The bees you see are probably the ones that are early out to empty themselves. If they fall on the snow, especially if there are deep footprints there, they cannot get up and freeze to death.
                > You can have some jute sacks in front of the hives so they can land on something warmer.
                > Mine did not start yet.
                > Good luck
                > Kamil
                >
                > --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Alan Fox <alan_foxy2000@> wrote:
                > >
                > >           it was only the other day we had an e-mail I think it was from someone
                > > in Norway and the made their hives with  25mm insulation sandwhiched between
                > > pieces of ply and they had open mesh all through winter. Alan

              • Kamil
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 3, 2011
                  One more post on the subject.
                  Here is a photo I found from some people in Norway (it is not mine).
                  It is about dead bees on the hive-bottoms early in the spring.
                  I do not know how to link to an addresse so you can copy the following and paste it to the address-bar of your browser.
                  www.kamildursun.com/KDPriv/Birokt/Bilder/DodeBierPaVaren.jpg