RE: [Beekeeping] Early spring buildup

  • Jerry Mattiaccio
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 3, 2011

      Hi Mike,

      I am feeding actual pollen and not the sub. Also have 1:2 feeder set up but unless the temp raises they won’t be touching it. The girls have been doing cleansing runs and it looks like they sure needed it.

      Jerry

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 10, 2011

        One of my four hives was VERY light in stores going into the winter and I was pretty sure it had died off a few weeks ago after a bit of a cold spell.  Last weekend temps got into the mid 40’s with some sun on the hives and the bees were flying about to include the suspect hive.  Not as many as the other hives but definite activity.

        What options do I have to help feed them till spring?

        Thanks for any help,

        Thomas

      • Marcin Matelski
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 10, 2011
          It's too cold for sugar water so your options are limited to candy boards or sugar patties. Candy board is hard sugar candy which you place on top bars above the cluster. There's a lot of info on them on the web. Find one you like best and follow the instructions to make it. When you put them on, try to pick the warmest day possible with no wind/rain/snow, but don't delay with feeding as it might be a matter of life or death for the bees. It shouldn't take you more than a minute to put the candy on, and don't inspect any frames, just put the candy on and hope for the best.
          Good luck and let us know how it went.

          Marcin

          To: Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 10, 2011

            BTW, I am in Washington state.

            Thomas

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 11, 2011

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 11, 2011
                I would not put syrup on them now.  The potential for moisture in the hive and the excess energy used by the bees to get rid of it, not to mention the possibility of moisture killing the bees makes this a bad idea. I run 250 hives. Put a spacer over the top of the hive no more than one inch which fits all around the hive(exact size of the hive) and either add fondant or emergency sugar on newspaper.  If you live in Washington state the weather is too cold for syrup. If you need more assistance please call me.

                Jerry Mattiaccio
                45 Pinto Lane
                Stafford, VA 22556
                (703) 595-1179

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 11, 2011
                  I paid £8-50 for 12.5 kg of fondant through our beekeeping club we got free delivery because the order was over £100 . They are in wakefield and I can give the telephone number to anyone that is interested. Alan

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 11, 2011

                    Thank you ALL for the suggestions.  I will try and find some fondant local to place on top of the cluster.

                    Thomas