Bees Are Our Friends, Even the Killers

  • Garry Libby
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 1999
      Bees Are Our Friends, Even the Killers

      They're here. In the southwestern US, Africanized killer bees are busily breeding with their mild mannered European cousins, begetting much more aggressive offspring. This site teaches how to protect yourself from a swarm attack, which can be lethal. Scare ya? Okay, now let's rise above our fears for personal safety and contemplate the honey bee's crucial role in the food supply. "...Perhaps one-third of our total diet is dependent, directly or indirectly, upon insect-pollinated plants", according to an agriculturist's essay on the economics of pollination. The Carl Hayden Bee Research Center at the U of Arizona posts detailed scientific information, educational exercises for kids, and popular press articles.
      http://gears.tucson.ars.ag.gov/

      Taken from Netsurfer Science:
      http://www.netsurf.com/nss/

      Garry Libby