Re: [Beekeeping] RE: Filthy rotten SPAMmer in the group!!!

  • Nick Downing
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2010

      I am getting the spam as well. It is absolutely awful!

      Nick

      On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 8:14 PM, Mary L. Bell <mlnbell@...> wrote:

      Web,
      I am not getting the spam that you are.  Don't know why?  I am on Earthlink the same as you are.
      I have my email set up to filter out spam.  I also have good security software that checks my mail.
      Kind of a double check.
      Works good for me most of the time.
      Mary

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2010
        I own a large Yahoo ReUseIt group in Memphis and it happens to us also.

        As far as I can tell a Member will have their email compromised by a virus and it emails itself to other addresses in the group.

        Also spammers will obtain membership to a Yahoo site and they have a program that mails a spam to email addresses. Every time a Member sends a Message to the group it replicates and send the spam to the person sending the post but it uses an address other than the one used as the Membership email address.

        It's very difficult or impossible to determine which address attached to the group needs to be removed.

        The first problem is easy to address by beefing up your anti-virus/mal-ware software. This can be realized by going to Download.com and downloading one of the freeware virus programs. AVG and Avast are both good ones. Don't pay for this stuff (unless your a business)IMHO the free ones actually work much better than the pay services.

        I think Yahoo had a handle on the problem in reference to the second issue up until about two weeks ago. I guess the spammers found another whole to slip through.

        Most SPAM is harmless. It's kind of like receiving junk mail, it's annoying but it's best just to ignore it or in this instance through it in the spam filter.

        Respectfully,
        Bill Dickerson

        --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Nick Downing <NickDowning@...> wrote:

        > I am getting the spam as well. It is absolutely awful!
        >
        > Nick
        >

        > On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 8:14 PM, Mary L. Bell <mlnbell@...>wrote:
        >

        > > Web,
        > > I am not getting the spam that you are. Don't know why? I am on Earthlink
        > > the same as you are.
        > > I have my email set up to filter out spam. I also have good security
        > > software that checks my mail.
        > > Kind of a double check.
        > > Works good for me most of the time.
        > > Mary

      • Stephen Johnson
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2010
          Could somebody please forward me one of these "spams"?  I feel left out as I see nothing in the archives and I haven't gotten a thing.

          On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 6:58 AM, Web Williams <wy3xinsc@...> wrote:

          OK, I've had enough of this SPAMming stuff. I get it mainly from
          two Yahoo groups- beekeeping and enologists. I can understand
          one SPAM getting through, but three from the same e-mail
          address is inexcusable. The moderator has a responsibility to shut
          down a user the first time it occurs. If you're the group moderator
          and are reading this- why in the WORLD do you want to be a
          moderator if you're just going to sit on your hands and not protect
          the user base of your group from this drivel? If you can't be present
          all the time, or go out of town and have no way to control the group
          while in your absence, that's all the more reason to have a co-moderator!

          I've enjoyed and appreciate the information that I've gotten from
          the group, but having to constantly complain about SPAM while
          little seems to be done about it just doesn't seem prudent use of
          my time. I've offered my services as a group moderator to assist in
          getting it under control but was brushed off. In fact, some group
          members actually had the unmitigated gall to defend the minimal
          SPAM that hit the group! I own/moderate three other Yahoo groups.
          In the last three years, there has been only ONE SPAM message get
          through in ONE of my three groups. ONLY ONE! And there's no
          excuse that this group can't be the same!

          It's not so much that the SPAM hits the group even, it's that the entire
          user e-mail list has been compromised! Yes, you heard right. Some
          SPAMmer somewhere who got Ray's Yahoo password now has the
          whole list of e-mail addresses that is stored in the Beekeeping group!
          So all of us can now look forward to receiving garbage e-mails in our
          inboxes for years to come. Thanks a lot, Ray, for whatever you did that
          allowed the SPAMmer to get ahold of your (and all of our personal/private)
          e-mail address. You probably got an e-mail saying the author worked for
          Yahoo and to click on a link and change your password. DUMB thing to
          do. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER click on an e-mail asking you to update
          your information or change your password! EVER! I thought everybody
          on the internet was aware of that ruse, but I guess not.

          You won't have to worry about my anti-SPAM rants anymore- I'm leaving
          the group. If the moderator doesn't care about cleaning up the SPAM in
          the group, I don't care about being a member! I'll read the posts on the
          Yahoo website. Or perhaps I'll start a NOSPAM Beekeeping group of
          my own!

          -Web

        • Gary
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2010
            One thing I have been told to do to prevent SPAM from going to groups is to set up a dummy e-mail address that is the first in the contact list (like aaa.aa@...) when the spammer hits this and gets bounced back it stops the rest of them from going out.

            Just a thought, but it seemed to work in another Yahoo group I was in.

            Regards,

            Gary