Re: Extracting question!

  • Joshua
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 22, 2010
      1. I guess for some reason I thought for over wintering it would be better for the hive to be smaller (just brood supers, minus the honey supers)this is a very uneducated guess and why I am asking here! None of the books say anything about this topic. So right now I have three shallow supers for brood and two honey supers. you're telling me that after extracting I should put all the frames back into the honey supers and leave them for the next year or until they are full again. Well, okay that is easy enough. Thank you Joshua

      --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Johnson <reeferret@...> wrote:

      > 1. give back forever. Do you need them for something else? Are you
      > thinking of selling them and starting new?
      >
      > 2. Always wait for full capping in order to make it worth your time andd
      > effort.
      >
      > 3. Why would you store the frames? Are you thinking of removing the
      > entired super?
      >
      > 4. extremely clean. You may not even have to wait till evening.
      > On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Joshua <joshua24br@...> wrote:
      >

      > > I am a second year bee keeper. We have 2 hives and live in South West
      > > Michigan. One hive we started last year from packaged bees and another swarm
      > > we caught this year. We are about to harvest for the first time from our
      > > second year hive. We have bought an extractor and filter. After extracting
      > > the honey from the comb, it is very well documented as the best thing is
      > > give the comb back to the hive to clean-up! That is where the suggestions
      > > end. My questions are:
      > >
      > > 1-Give back the frames of empty comb for how long if the season is ending
      > > and cold weather is coming soon?
      > >
      > > 2-What if they start to refill the comb but don't get very far (ie. never
      > > cap it), do you extract it again?
      > >
      > > 3-At some point I am guessing the frames are removed again and stored for
      > > the winter and given back to the hive in the next spring. What are the best
      > > methods of storing the frames with comb as to not contaminate them?
      > >
      > > 4-I've seen many videos of people putting out the extractor and filters for
      > > the bees to clean-up or robb the left over honey. How clean does this get
      > > them and do you then take the items back in the evening after they have gone
      > > back to the hive?
      > >
      > > Thank you in advance,
      > > Joshua Bruce
      > > Sawyer, MI

    • Stephen Johnson
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 22, 2010
        Ok, ok, brood super, jumbo shrimp, least favorite, live recording, old boy...  Can we just call the place with the queen as the brood box?  And any box intended for honey as a super?  Would you mind if I suggested you switch your bottom brood box from shallow to deep?

        When you said "remove the frames", I thought you meant to "remove the frames" and thus leave empty boxes.  I think I am following you a little better now.  Sure, go ahead and remove the top emptied shallow super for the duration of winter and re-install it in the spring when the other super is getting mostly full.  Simply seal it off with a board above and below with a little moth ball inside to keep out wax moths.

        On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 9:52 PM, Joshua <joshua24br@...> wrote:

        1. I guess for some reason I thought for over wintering it would be better for the hive to be smaller (just brood supers, minus the honey supers)this is a very uneducated guess and why I am asking here! None of the books say anything about this topic. So right now I have three shallow supers for brood and two honey supers. you're telling me that after extracting I should put all the frames back into the honey supers and leave them for the next year or until they are full again. Well, okay that is easy enough. Thank you Joshua

        --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Johnson <reeferret@...> wrote:

        > 1. give back forever. Do you need them for something else? Are you
        > thinking of selling them and starting new?
        >
        > 2. Always wait for full capping in order to make it worth your time andd
        > effort.
        >
        > 3. Why would you store the frames? Are you thinking of removing the
        > entired super?
        >
        > 4. extremely clean. You may not even have to wait till evening.
        > On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Joshua <joshua24br@...> wrote:
        >

        > > I am a second year bee keeper. We have 2 hives and live in South West
        > > Michigan. One hive we started last year from packaged bees and another swarm
        > > we caught this year. We are about to harvest for the first time from our
        > > second year hive. We have bought an extractor and filter. After extracting
        > > the honey from the comb, it is very well documented as the best thing is
        > > give the comb back to the hive to clean-up! That is where the suggestions
        > > end. My questions are:
        > >
        > > 1-Give back the frames of empty comb for how long if the season is ending
        > > and cold weather is coming soon?
        > >
        > > 2-What if they start to refill the comb but don't get very far (ie. never
        > > cap it), do you extract it again?
        > >
        > > 3-At some point I am guessing the frames are removed again and stored for
        > > the winter and given back to the hive in the next spring. What are the best
        > > methods of storing the frames with comb as to not contaminate them?
        > >
        > > 4-I've seen many videos of people putting out the extractor and filters for
        > > the bees to clean-up or robb the left over honey. How clean does this get
        > > them and do you then take the items back in the evening after they have gone
        > > back to the hive?
        > >
        > > Thank you in advance,
        > > Joshua Bruce
        > > Sawyer, MI

      • mln
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 23, 2010
          This is how I have handled the empty supers for several years.
          I extract capped honey. Uncapped honey is usually (but not always) above 18.6% moisture content and will ferment. If I only had 2 hives I would put the wet supers back on the hives for a day or two for them to dry (clean) them. In our area, we have small hive beetles and if the empty supers are left on the hive, the hive beetles have more space to hide from the bees. I then store them in an open shed where light and air can get to them. If the queen has not laid in the supers, I get very little if any moth damage. I try to keep bees as naturally as possible and therefore do not use chemicals in my hives.

          Supers can be stored for the winter using para moth (PARADICHLOROBENZENE). Do not use regular moth balls (NAPHTHALENE).
          There is sometimes a moth flakes (PARADICHLOROBENZENE) available but always look at the ingredients.

          question 2- If you have a fall nectar flow, they can put a lot in the super. You could leave that on the hive (capped or uncapped). If it has a small amount in the super, you can carry that super a good ways from your hives and set it out for the bees to rob (clean) out.

          question 4-I occasionally let the bees clean the excess honey out of my extractor and capping tank. I take it back inside once they leave it. I put the dry wax capping in my solar wax melter. I wash the extractor and capping tank. Cold water first to remove wax particles.
          Wax will stick if you use warm/hot water first. There is no problem using only cold water to clean extractor and capping tank.