Fw: [Beekeeping] Plastic frames?

  • Bob Benson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8, 2010

      We use all plastic PF 120 frames from Mann Lake in some of our hives. We have done one or two things (or sometimes both) that seem to work for us, when the bees need another box.

      1. Spray all the frames in the added super, both sides, with one to one sugar water.

      2. "Seed" the upper supper with one frame of drawn wax from the box below. The bees will realize it is up there and go up and then realize the others need to be drawn too. This works for us because we run medium hives (no deep brood boxes) and can move frames from one box to another.

      Or we do both. Our bees move up nicely.

      Denise

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 8, 2010

        I’ve been doing what a friend recommended, and putting the new supers under the full ones.  Weight wise I’m top-heavy with the fullest supers at the top, but they start drawing new supers out really fast. My friend explained when they have honey up top and enter empty supers from the brood boxes they panic and forage more thinking they won’t have enough for winter.

        --

        Kevin Cotter

        The Creekwood Brewing Project

        9ec4c12949a4f31474f299058ce2b22a