Re: [Beekeeping] Bees "hangin' around"

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2010
      Actually, I have plenty of activity: the hive is 8' below my bedroom window and 6' out from the house. I have windows only 2' tall but 8' wide, so I cannot see the hive without getting right up to the window and looking down. When I look straight out though, I see many bees in the air, zooming off in all directions. Actually kind of cool.

      Bill

      From: Bill <emailreqd@yahoo. com>
      Subject: [Beekeeping] Bees "hangin' around"
      To: beekeeping@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 2:46 PM

      I've noticed many bees just sitting on the front of the hive (hmm..can we call it sitting if they are on a vertical surface?) They cover about one-third of the front of the bottom 9" tall brood box. Couple of days there were some bees fanning, as it late on a hot afternoon, but the rest were just "hanging out" on the landing pad and the front surface of the hive.

      Also, I have a pan of water about a foot from the hive. It has some stones, pieces of wood, and a couple of floating popsicle sticks so the bees have somewhere to land. I never see any bees getting water. I really hope they are not all congregating at the neighbor's pool three doors down, because it is not legal to have bees where I live.

    • Dale Tongue
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2010
        I've had that too, and believe they are just warm.  I also added a Western super because this is/was a package colony and they are now getting to where they need to expand a little.  I've been thinking about cracking the top lid a little to let natural convection work at cooling the girls down.  Any comments?
        Dale

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2010