Re: remove me from your list

  • Ismael Carlo
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 12, 2003

      sandie goldstein <cockatielbreeder@...> wrote:
      Well to take them I would have to get them into an official bee box.  Which I don't know how to do.  I have no equipment.  I have no bee box, no shipping box.  Next, they would have to be 18 hours at the very least in my "van" with me.  They would have to live through a "break down" if any and excess heat in Arizona and or New Mexico.  Only other choice would be in the back of my husbands pick-up truck with no air conditioning.  Figure out how I can do all that........and not get bit.  I'm game.  But one of the bigger problems is that the box is only 8"x12"x12" so they are really in a small box.  Also, in the bottom of the box is sawdust and bird poop.

      My husband wants to take them.  Said take them all along.  I was thinking I would put the box inside of a bee box..........and still I'm not sure if they would move over.

      Sandie Goldstein
      CockatielBreeder.com

      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 12, 2003

        --
        Thanks
        Shanta McBain
        Bee Breeder
        http://shanta.org/Apis
        Orders now being taken for Late August and September Queens and 2004
        Nukes.
      • sandie goldstein
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 12, 2003
          Yes, but you all have handled bees, I on the other hand have only had a week or so of bees to work with.  I would have a big problem getting them from this little box into a frame bee box for one I don't have the equipment.  Two I don't know how to do it.

          Sandie Goldstein
          CockatielBreeder.com

          On August 11, 2003 06:57, sandie goldstein wrote:
          > Ok, no rain.  I'm surprised that my brats aren't having a "baby" over one
          > of my sprinklers under the box becoming a gusher.  Anyway, I found it and
          > got it foxed. But I don't seem to scare them.  They sure fill up the box at
          > night.  Well anyway.  It's been fun watching them.  Were If they were in a
          > regular box, I wouldn't been able to.
          >
          > But one of the reasons I can't take them is that  the place I'm going is
          > the desert and I'm not really sure I've seen enough flowers to carry them
          > through the winter.  Better they stay here.

          We live in the desert and have no problems. Bee with a little help will
          servive in most conditions.

          As for food over the winter most of us have no bee pasture in the winter. That
          is why bees store what they need. Also flowers are only a small part of bee
          forage.

          I would take them.

          --
          Thanks
          Shanta McBain
          Bee Breeder
          http://shanta.org/Apis
          Orders now being taken for Late August and September Queens and 2004
          Nukes.

        • Eileen Barnes
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 12, 2003
            Yes, leaving them in Ca, sounds like the best
            idea.

            Eileen
            Eifl@...

            Help the planet each day! It's free and easy:
            http://www.Care2.com/dailyaction/
          • sjbasin
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 13, 2003
              --- In beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "sandie goldstein"
              <cockatielbreeder@e...> wrote:
              > Yes, but you all have handled bees, I on the other hand have only
              had a week or so of bees to work with. I would have a big problem
              getting them from this little box into a frame bee box for one I
              don't have the equipment. Two I don't know how to do it.

              > Sandie Goldstein
              > cockatielbreeder@e...
              > CockatielBreeder.com
              > http://msn.groups.cockatielworld

            • Crenn
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 24, 2003
                Well, my dad and I have a sight up by Black Rock in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, and a bear has found it.  Went right through the fence, made a big mess, and left a whole lot of very angry bees behind.  My dad had gone up to fed them in the pickup, so he picked up hat damaged equipment he could and repaired the fence, hoping that the bear wouldn't come back before he had a chance to get up there and move the remaing colonies.  Well, the batterey died on our fence charger and the bear did come back.  Talk about angry bees.  They were attacking everything that moved, even the smoker.  The bear even left a nice pile of fecal matter right in the site for us.  Don't know if we'll be able to use this site for awhile now.

                Caitlin

                Do you Yahoo!?