Place to keep a bee hive?

  • Scott Riley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 20, 2003
      Does anyone know where I could keep a bee hive near Richmond,VA?
    • Mike Stoops
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 20, 2003
        Scott Riley wrote: Does anyone know where I can keep a beehive near
        Richmond, VA?

        Anywhere you want to keep one. All kidding aside, the crux to keeping a
        beehive anywhere is to place it where it won't cause problems to others.
        Quite a few people keep them in an area that is out of sight of their
        neighbors and cloak the passage of the bees by forcing them to fly up to a
        height of eight feet or more before they can fly outward away from the hive.
        That puts their flight level well above the height of people walking around
        in the area. As long as you have fairly placid bees, no one will know that
        you have them unless you tell them. Also, you might check with your county
        agricultural agent about any zoning restrictions where you live and as a
        source for a site away from your home if that is what you want to do.

        What are your particular living circumstances? If you have a flat place on
        a roof, people have kept hives there, on their roofs. They have also kept
        them along the back of the property next to six to eight foot high board
        fences. Drop me a line if you want to discuss this off the discussion
        board. MIKE Located 1/2 way between Montgomery and Mobile