africanized bees in FL

  • Peggy Willenberg
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 28, 2010
      I am considering moving to the Gainesville, FL, area in the next couple of years.  Can anyone give me advice on how to continue keeping bees without problems with Africanized bees?

      Thanks,
      Peggy in MN
    • james macilveen
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 28, 2010
        Florida state wide has a great support organization for beekeepers. Gainsville will have an excellant local beekeepers organization and should be your first point of contact, Jim MacIlveen Alabama Beekeepers Association

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 28, 2010
          HI Peggy,

          The best thing in Florida is our Apiary Inspectors service and the second is the Beekeeping!
          Information on beekeeping in Fl. http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/pi/plantinsp/apiary/apiary.html
          State beekeeping club  http://www.floridabeekeepers.org/

          We have a great volunteer BMP program which beekeepers can follow helping them to kept European stock and not AHB!

          If you plan to bring bees from your home state you will need to have an inspection permit to move them in to florida and then get registered once you are here. But thats easy.... Call our Apiary office 352-372-3505 ext 114 if you need help

          If you want more info on AHB go to the state beekeeping club then click links look at EDIS
          Gainesville is the headquarters for DPI and High Springs is just around the corner and is the location the nearest beekeeping supply company Dadants. We have a few beekeeping groups one is also in High Springs the next is Jacksonville or Green cove Springs.

          Good luck
          David Westervelt

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 28, 2010
            -- On Thu, 1/28/10, Peggy Willenberg <glencanyonrising@...> wrote:
            I am considering moving to the Gainesville, FL, area in the next couple of years.  Can anyone give me advice on how to continue keeping bees without problems with Africanized bees?

            Thanks,
            Peggy in MN

            Peggy,
                  This will probably incite a lot of controversy on this list.    But,  this is what the state entomology department recommends.   And, it is a policy that has been embraced by most of the states here in the southeast.  I underlined voluntary program, the writers of BMP didn't.   Hope this gets posted.    Mike in LA  (Lower Alabama)

            BEST MANAGEMENT PRACTICES FOR MAINTAINING  EUROPEAN HONEY BEE COLONIES

            1. This is a voluntary program designed to minimize the threat of
            Africanized Honey Bees (AHB) in Florida and to dilute any feral AHB
            populations that may become established in Florida as our gentle
            managed colonies are our best line of defense against AHB.

            2. Beekeepers participating in this program must sign a compliance
            agreement with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

            3. Beekeepers will maintain a valid registration with the Florida
            Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services/Division of Plant
            Industry (FDACS/DPI), and be current with any and all special inspection fees.

            4. A Florida apiary may be deemed as EHB (European Honey Bee) with a
            minimum 10% random survey of colonies using the FABIS (Fast African
            Bee Identification System) and/or the computer-assisted morphometric
            procedure, ie. universal system for the detection of Africanized Honey
            Bees (AHB) (USDA-ID), or other approved methods by FDACS on a yearly basis or as requested.

            5. Honey bee colony divisions or splits should be queened with production queens or queen cells from EHB breeder queens following Florida's Best Management Practices.

            6. Florida beekeepers are discouraged from collecting swarms that cannot be immediately re-queened from EHB queen producers.

            7. Florida Beekeepers should practice good swarm prevention techniques to prevent an abundance of virgin queens and their ready mating with available AHB drones that carry the defensive trait.

            8. Maintain all EHB colonies in a strong, healthy, populous condition
            to discourage usurpation (take over) swarms of AHB.

            9. Do not allow any weak or empty colonies to exist in an Apiary, as
            they may be attractive to AHB swarms.

            10. Recommend re-queening with European stock every six months unless using marked or clipped queens and having in possession a bill of sale
            from a EHB Queen Producer.

            11. Immediately re-queen with a European Queen if previously installed
            clipped or marked queen is found missing.

            12. Maintain one European drone source colony (250 square inches of
            drone comb) for every 10 colonies in order to reduce supercedure queens mating with AHB drones.

            13. To protect public safety and reduce beekeeping liability do not
            site apiaries in proximity of tethered or confined animals, students, the elderly, general public, drivers on public roadways, or visitors where this may have a higher likelihood of occurring.

            14. Treat all honey bees with respect.

          • Peggy Willenberg
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 28, 2010
              This and David's comments seem perfectly reasonable to me.  I hate to requeen, but if you have a marked queen and she's gone, I can see the need.

              I've been stung plenty of times but I simply can't imagine a whole colony going after me.  I've already joined the county beekeeping club down there and will continue to monitor the situation so when it is time to go, I'll be ready.

              i like the idea that the best defense against Africanized bees is maintaining healthy colonies of EHBs!

              Thanks much!
              Peggy in MN

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 28, 2010
                  Right now it is -10 here in Minneapolis.  I hope my girls are snug in their wrapped and insulated hives, under a pile of snow.  I will gladly face a remnant hurricane in mid-Florida rather than endure many more years of this brutal cold!!!!!
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 29, 2010
                    Peggy wrote:   I will gladly face a remnant hurricane in mid-Florida rather than endure many more years of this brutal cold!!!!!

                    It ain't the remnant hurricanes that we worry about here.  It is the active ones that run right down our alley.  I live 90 miles north of Mobile and Pensacola.  Hurricane Ivan was a very strong catagory 3 hurricane when 'he' passed over our heads.  Remember, this was 90 miles inland.   Usually they are no more than cat 1's or just tropical storms when they get this far inland, but there are exceptions.   Best bet would be to call the county extension office in the county you're moving into and find out from them what their past hurricane history has been.

                    Mike in LA

                  • Peggy Willenberg
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 29, 2010
                      Good advice.  I'm used to dealing with tornadoes--(www. twistersisters.com--that's me)--but hurricanes are a different ball of wax entirely!  I don't like storms that I can't fit in the frame of the camera!