Re: frozen Supers

  • fFrank Mong
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2010
      I take a deep super and remove one side.I then set the supers that  I want to extract on top of it.I pile about 6 or 8 supers on top of each other and then put a top cover on them.Under one side of the top cover I put a 1 inch stick to alow air to circulate through the supers.In front of the bottom super with the side removed I place a small 1500 watt space heater on low heat facing the opening under the supers.It usually takes 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to have the supers warm enough to extract.Be sure to monitor things so you don't get the heater to close that it causes a fire.Not likely but better be safe.Don't let the heater unattended. Even in warm weather this speeds up the extraction process conciderably.If I have a lot of supers to do I will have two stacks going at the same time. That way one stack is heating while I'm extracting the other and I can keep going with out haveing to wait .

    • Martin Gutzmer
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 5, 2010
        THANKS for all the advice!
        I am in Northwest Illinois
        I have a 100 watt heat mat - UL Listed for rooting plants.
        It will warm gently, but not too much.
        I will set the supers on that and let them heat to 70 degrees.

        What do you folks think?
        Good plan?
        Please advise,
        Thanks,
        Martin

        On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 9:35 AM, fFrank Mong <spur0303@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Gary
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 6, 2010
          Sounds like a good idea to me. Just keep a bit of air space between the heat pad and the super and some on the top to get some circulation.

          I'm in the Chicagoland area and know what you are going through with the cold weather.

          Stay warm and be careful with the coming snow.

          Gary