frozen Supers

  • Martin Gutzmer
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2010
      Hi Folks,

      I harvested supers, and placed them in protection in the garage.
      Due to home repsirs, I did not get the supers extracted.

      The garage is quite cold.

      Now I would like to bring the supers in and warm them, and extract the
      honey - Has anyone done this, and can give me wisdom on how to
      proceed?
      Please advise,
      Thanks,
      Martin

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 5, 2010
          Martin,

          I hope the home repairs went well.

          You can help the honey flow by heating up the supers a bit. Some folks have put the supers containing the frames on an empty super with a light bulb in there and monitor the temperature. Another thought would be to use a heating pad to help warm the frames up so the honey will flow better. Be sure to ventilate and carefully monitor the temperature so it doesn't get to hot and melt the wax or cause a fire. You don't need to bring the temp up to much in order to get the honey to flow well and remember that the frames closest to the heat source will warm up first so that's the area that you want to watch closely.

          Hope this suggestion helps.

          --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Martin Gutzmer <mrgutzmer@...> wrote:

          > Hi Folks,
          >
          > I harvested supers, and placed them in protection in the garage.
          > Due to home repsirs, I did not get the supers extracted.
          >
          > The garage is quite cold.
          >
          > Now I would like to bring the supers in and warm them, and extract the
          > honey - Has anyone done this, and can give me wisdom on how to
          > proceed?
          > Please advise,
          > Thanks,
          > Martin

        • fFrank Mong
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 5, 2010
            I take a deep super and remove one side.I then set the supers that  I want to extract on top of it.I pile about 6 or 8 supers on top of each other and then put a top cover on them.Under one side of the top cover I put a 1 inch stick to alow air to circulate through the supers.In front of the bottom super with the side removed I place a small 1500 watt space heater on low heat facing the opening under the supers.It usually takes 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to have the supers warm enough to extract.Be sure to monitor things so you don't get the heater to close that it causes a fire.Not likely but better be safe.Don't let the heater unattended. Even in warm weather this speeds up the extraction process conciderably.If I have a lot of supers to do I will have two stacks going at the same time. That way one stack is heating while I'm extracting the other and I can keep going with out haveing to wait .

          • Martin Gutzmer
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 5, 2010
              THANKS for all the advice!
              I am in Northwest Illinois
              I have a 100 watt heat mat - UL Listed for rooting plants.
              It will warm gently, but not too much.
              I will set the supers on that and let them heat to 70 degrees.

              What do you folks think?
              Good plan?
              Please advise,
              Thanks,
              Martin

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 6, 2010
                Sounds like a good idea to me. Just keep a bit of air space between the heat pad and the super and some on the top to get some circulation.

                I'm in the Chicagoland area and know what you are going through with the cold weather.

                Stay warm and be careful with the coming snow.

                Gary