[Beekeeping] Wax Moths

  • Dan McFee
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 3, 2009
      Are wax moths small enough to get thought window screen? If you were to duct tape windscreen on top and bottom that would allow air flow and keep out the Moths? I have never tried it it was just a thought

      Dan McFee

      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 4, 2009
        --- On Fri, 12/4/09, Dan McFee <danm_bees@...
        Are wax moths small enough to get thought window screen? If you were to duct tape windscreen on top and bottom that would allow air flow and keep out the Moths? I have never tried it it was just a thought

        Wax moths are not small enough to get through window screen.  But, be sure to freeze the equipment you are storing that way for several days before putting on the screen.  The freezing will kill any moths, larvae, or eggs that might be present in the equipment.
        Mike in LA

      • Dan McFee
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 7, 2009
          I keep the equipment in the barn. Here in Illiniois freezeing the equipment for only a couple of days would be an improvement. vs the next 4 months.
          Dan in IL

          Are wax moths small enough to get thought window screen? If you were to duct tape windscreen on top and bottom that would allow air flow and keep out the Moths? I have never tried it it was just a thought

          Wax moths are not small enough to get through window screen.  But, be sure to freeze the equipment you are storing that way for several days before putting on the screen.  The freezing will kill any moths, larvae, or eggs that might be present in the equipment.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Steve
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 5, 2010
            I'm looking for input on controlling wax moths. I manage 6 or 7 colonies at any given time. The bees are in large supers (2 to 3 per colony) located in Southern California, all within a few feet of each other. I use a queen excluder above the bottom super. I check on the bees 5 or 6 times a year and inevitably one of the colonies is inflicted with wax moths. The others are completely free of moths. I clean out the infected supers and start over with fresh bees and no moths in site but the next time I check the moths have taken over a different colony. Always just one colony. I'm not sure if the bees are leaving and then the moths move in or they are leaving because the moths have taken over. Any thoughts? Thanks.
          • moneyhoneys
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 29 8:17 AM
              Has anyone experienced a problem with these Wax Moths getting in their hive and what have you done to get rid of them? Thanks, Guy
            • Long Beach HoneyBee
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 29 10:58 AM
                Message
                This was discussed at our clubs meeting last night. BASC (Beekeepers Association of Southern California)

                A strong hive is able to handle wax moths on their own. If you have wax moths, then your hive isn't strong enough to properly care for the space they have.
                • If you have multiple boxes then reduce the number to a size that they can handle. You want the bees to be able to cover all of the frames.
                • You can remove/replace frames that have heavy moth damage and pull the comb out.
                • If there is light damage you can place the frame in a freezer for 3 days then return it to the hive. Of course, any brood in the frame will be killed if you do this. (I don't have a freezer large enough so I leave the frame in the bright sun for 3 days).
                • Some folks use essential oils to repel them. Thyme oil is one example.
                The moths lay their eggs in crevices of the wooden ware. Such as the joins and the foundation grooves in the frames.

                Hope this helps

                Henry Kurland

                Long Beach Honey

                 562-427-2114  LongBeachHoneyBee@...
                Has anyone experienced a problem with these Wax Moths getting in their hive and what have you done to get rid of them? Thanks, Guy

              • David Laird
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 29 9:15 PM
                  Wax moths usually indicate a weak hive.  There are not bees in sufficient number to keep the moths out.  You can take the infected frames out of the hive and put them in your freezer for a couple of days. This will kill the larvae of the wax moth.  If the hive is weak you might want to consider combining it with a stronger hive.  However you need to act quickly as they can take over in just a matter of days.  Good luck in the fight.  Oh, when you aren't using the supers you can use moth para moth to keep the moths out until you need the super.

                  Dave

                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 16, 2014
                    If you have a hive that gets so week the wax moths invade, totally destroying the foundations, can you reuse the frames if reloaded with fresh clean wax foundation? Is there a chance any eggs remain in the boxes or on the frames ?
                    Marlene
                    NH
                  • honeycomb_hill
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 16, 2014
                      Yes you can re-use the frames. Just make sure when you remove the wedge to install foundation you check for any wax moth larva hiding in the seams. I use my hive tool to kill any remain larva or webbing. Good luck!
                    • Chez pr
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 17, 2014
                        Burn out box annually as you all-ways do. 2nd quality frames are cheap you can use starter strips alternated with full sheets to save on cash. I would only re-use frames if the bees are 100% disease free. Biological Larvicide such as B 401 can protect frames the bees are not using, you mix up a sprybottle with water. Putting frames in freezer will kill wax moth but wont protect from future reinfection.
                         Good Luck From Beespitt UK
                      • Alan
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 17, 2014
                          Yes.
                          I pull off the old foundation and use a torch to 'clean' all of the wood frame. Never repercussions afterwords.

                          Alan, Lakeview, NY