Re: Botulism

  • sgtwal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2009
        I have always wondered about this. If honey is anti-bacterial, sterile, and so good at stopping infections, how can it carry and transmit botulism?
    • sherill lockwood
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2009
        I believe botulism is a spore so while honey may stop infection, a spore can remain dormant for any length of time.

          I have always wondered about this. If honey is anti-bacterial, sterile, and so good at stopping infections, how can it carry and transmit botulism?
      • Peggy Willenberg
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 6, 2009

          Botulism is caused by a spore-forming Gram positive bacillus, Clostridium botulinum.  The spores may live for years, and are present almost everywhere--in the dirt, on planrs, probably on your hands when you come in from the garden!  The only thing that can destroy the spores is heat.
          Peggy in MN--former microbiologist :-)