cutting the grass around the hives

  • Dogwood Ridge
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2009
      It has rained in our little corner of the upper east side of Texas more than any other year I can remember.  Naturally, it is the same year we set up beehives and as newbies did not think one part through well enough.  The two hives are set up in a beautiful spot at the edge of our fruit tree orchard and sit on two concrete slabs a foot or so bigger than the actual base.   Usually the grass in this area doesn't get tall at all.....except for this year.   The grass immediately beyond the hives has gotten out of hand.  A combination of it raining on the days that we could of cut the grass and having to work on sunny days makes for some tall grass!  How do you manage to keep the grass down around your hives?  Do you smoke the bees before trimming?    My husband thought about laying something on the ground adjacent to the hives- like old carpet- to kill the grass back a bit but I think that would look sort of tacky, but what do you think?
      Thank you!
      Kim at Dogwood Ridge
    • axeman axeman
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2009
        The hive I keep in our back yard has a sculptured area with mulch around it.
        Anything that grows through the mulch is easily pulled out.
        The hives I keep in the fields sit on cement blocks. I use hand shears once or twice a year to keep the weeds from covering the entrance and flight path. The bees do not mind my work in front of the hive so long as I'm doing it during good weather.
        Good weather equals good attitude!

        Alan, Lakeview, NY

[...]

      • fFrank Mong
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2009
          I use a weed eater around my hives and don't have a problem. I am careful not to hit the hives with the weed eater .I work from the back of the hives as much as possible and when doing the front I try to stay away fron the flight path directly in front of the entrance.I do wear my veil just in case.