Re: Building a top bar hive

  • roger g
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 7, 2009
      I built 2 last winter and put three 1" holes along side. I've had no problem working with the bees. Lot of times with no gear. You can use corks to regulate entrances to reduce or make a split.
      I put a package in one and a swarm in the other. They both built up real quikly and swarmed in july. necter flow has been poor so i had to feed to rebuild. I put chick waterers inside to feed sugar water. roger NJ

      --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "terraview2" <elsietee@...> wrote:

      > "Jancie" <janice_hamilton@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I will try to get photos taken and put up tomorrow of the hive I am building.<
      >
      > please do!
      >
      > I noticed that the Biobees TBH plan has the bee entry
      > in the form of holes on the long edge of the hive. I've
      > also seen TBHs with the entry along the bottom of the
      > short edge.
      >
      > For working on the hive it seems like having the entry
      > at the short end while you work from the long sides
      > would be preferable - no bees dodging you while you
      > work?
      >
      > Anyone have any thoughts on placement of entryway on TBHs?
      > Thanks.
      >
      > --
      > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
      > Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
      > elsietee AT foothill DOT net
      > Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA
      > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

    • terraview2
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 7, 2009
        "roger g" <toad08551@...> wrote:

        > I built 2 last winter and put three 1" holes along side.
        > ...You can use corks to regulate entrances to reduce or
        > make a split. I put a package in one and a swarm in the
        > other.

        If you built a 48" long TBH and put a follower board
        in the middle and put a colony in each side, could
        the two colonies outgrow the box? Is that why your
        two colonies swarmed?

        Is a 48" TBH more than big enough for *one* colony,
        but potentially not quite big enough for two? Or can
        you stuff two colonies in but be very conscientious
        about checking for excess honey and removing it to
        allow more space?

        > They
        > both built up real quikly and swarmed in july.

        Is this a prime reason to not stuff two colonies
        in one box, because you lose the flexibility to
        enlarge/reduce the size of the hive?

        > ...necter
        > flow has been poor so i had to feed to rebuild.

        Nectar flow *after* they swarmed? or before?

        > I put chick waterers inside to feed sugar water.

        Did you just put the chick waterers on the mesh
        floor of the hive?

        (pondering possible hive configurations)

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 7, 2009
          My hives are 40" long and they still had room in hie to expand. I never split the colony they just built quiclly and necter flow was poor after they swarmed. My feeders are set on a wood platform on screen roger NJ

          --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "terraview2" <elsietee@...> wrote:

          > "roger g" <toad08551@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I built 2 last winter and put three 1" holes along side.
          > > ...You can use corks to regulate entrances to reduce or
          > > make a split. I put a package in one and a swarm in the
          > > other.
          >
          > If you built a 48" long TBH and put a follower board
          > in the middle and put a colony in each side, could
          > the two colonies outgrow the box? Is that why your
          > two colonies swarmed?
          >
          > Is a 48" TBH more than big enough for *one* colony,
          > but potentially not quite big enough for two? Or can
          > you stuff two colonies in but be very conscientious
          > about checking for excess honey and removing it to
          > allow more space?
          >
          > > They
          > > both built up real quikly and swarmed in july.
          >
          > Is this a prime reason to not stuff two colonies
          > in one box, because you lose the flexibility to
          > enlarge/reduce the size of the hive?
          >
          > > ...necter
          > > flow has been poor so i had to feed to rebuild.
          >
          > Nectar flow *after* they swarmed? or before?
          >
          > > I put chick waterers inside to feed sugar water.
          >
          > Did you just put the chick waterers on the mesh
          > floor of the hive?
          >

          > (pondering possible hive configurations)
          >

          > --
          > Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
          > elsietee AT foothill DOT net
          > Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA

        • toad08551
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 7, 2009
            i do have couple pics in my album