Solutions for hornets?

  • Stephen Epstein
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009

      I have a chance to buy a bee yard here in Israel . This is a very rare chance because the country is so small and there are so many hives, the Honey Board does not permit people to install new hives without a permit. I am being offered a permit in an urban forest. I went to visit the hives yesterday and found that the biggest threat to them was a species of Hornet that hovers outside their hives and eats the bees. The beekeeper puts trays of chopped meat with anti-flea medication mixed into the meat. That doe not seem to stop them and one hive I inspected was overrun by hornets. The hives can't be moved.

      Has anyone ever encountered this before and what can I do to protect the bees and limit the effect of these nasty hornets?

      Thanks,

      Stephen Epstein

      www.bigdipperphotos.com

    • axeman axeman
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 2, 2009
        Sounds like a great opportunity! I'd love to have that fall into my hands!

        How large are the hornets? Can you reduce the entrance to the hives with some kind of perferrated plastic which the hornets are too large to pass through?
        Also, I find that the hornets I see around my hives have a nest not far away. They will build close to food sources. Find the hornet hives and kill those and that may reduce the attacks on  your bees.

        Alan, Lakeview, NY

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 2, 2009

          Hi Alan,

          The hornets must be about 2 inches long. They are about 4-6 times the size of the bees. I just bought some winter entrance reducers but your idea of a perforated opening sounds great. I have seen something similar on those gizmos for pollen traps.

          I will look for the hornets nest, although it may be difficult if they put it high up in a tree.

          I found a hornet's trap but I am afraid that the bees may caught.

          Stephen Epstein

          www.bigdipperphotos.com

        • OOWONBS@Netscape.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 2, 2009
            >I have a chance to buy a bee yard here in Israel. This is a very rare chance
            because the country is so small and there are so many hives, the Honey Board
            does not permit people to install new hives without a permit. I am being
            offered a permit in an urban forest. I went to visit the hives yesterday and
            found that the biggest threat to them was a species of Hornet that hovers
            outside their hives and eats the bees.

            Take this buy under condition of agreed price, but you and
            he has access and full agreement & disclosure of treatment,
            so you can back out or renegociate if they are doing poorly.

            YOU may want to let them die/be killed/kill them, or even
            poison the bees, (yes, very extreme,) to get the permit,
            and be dome with the hornets till next spring when you
            restart the hives. He wants to sell? One must wonder
            what research he has done... and what his conclusion was.
            Sell...

            >The beekeeper puts trays of chopped meat with anti-flea
            medication mixed into the meat. That doe not seem to
            stop them and one hive I inspected was overrun by hornets.
            The hives can't be moved.

            Well, they don't eat meat. And they prefer living hosts
            for their larve. As i understand it, they eat sweets,
            and meat is for developing larve, and is why they visit
            our sweet drinks in the summer, but take hamburgers
            from us if they have larve. Of course, double check
            this info. Can you get a picture of thew wasp? (And
            don't let him know you are doing this.)

            I wonder if you can close the hive one day, and put
            out a tray of poisoned sweet drinks, or sugar syrup,
            and let the wasps try to take that. Try some in advance,
            unpoisoned.

            BillSF9c

            >Has anyone ever encountered this before and what can I do to protect the
            bees and limit the effect of these nasty hornets?

            Thanks,
            Stephen Epstein

            www.bigdipperphotos.com <http://www.bigdipperphotos.com/>

          • lovettvineyard
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 4, 2009
              I use a trap made from a soda bottle. Also, I add a small piece of hot dog. It's simple to make and works great. Good Luck!

              http://www.wvbeekeepers.org/Hornet%20Trap.pdf