Re: [beekeeping] Will a queen mate with drones from her own hive?

  • Shanta McBain
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2003
      On June 29, 2003 04:46, ROBERT J STOCKLEY wrote:
      > Hi...I went to a seminar recently (some big shot from arizona) and the
      > research says Queens don't mate with drones from her own hive for the
      > simple reason that...She flys much further from the hive to be mated than
      > the drones do...Wish I had a better memory or note taking skills.LOL

      I have heard this too. But I have also heard that she will only go as far as
      she has to to get mated. She also will go more than once to ensure adequate
      mating. She need 20 or so drones to bee a good long term layer or about 2 to
      3 years.

      > Another interesting nugget from that seminar was...Drone congregation areas
      > aren't where queens find drones. They are just turning points for the
      > drones...Drones fly in strait lines guided by landmarks...when they are
      > going to change directions (like say a 20degree turn) they hover around and
      > then take off in the new direction. The queen mating does not happen above
      > Drone congregation areas as previously thought.

      Not heard that one but how do they know for sure? Lots of theories out there.
      Some based in fact others wishful thinking. Still others our need to explain.
      EG. the banter on Irish about Bee language. It is my understanding that god
      gave us language to confuse us to we would not discover the truth. Tower of
      Babel story.

      Shanta
      Bee Breeder
      http://shanta.org/Apis