Re: [beekeeping] Digest Number 449

  • Mike Stoops
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29, 2003
      Re: [beekeeping] Digest Number 449 >Regarding the grass, I found that laying a couple of
      >feet of rolled roofing around the hive keep the grass
      >and weeds down. Eliminates having to cut directly
      >around the hive.

      >Plus it seems to help with the hive beetles.

      Be sure the roofing paper covers both the area around the hive(s) and under the hive(s).  The beetle larvae need to pupate in the ground.  If the larvae drop down through the bottom screen board onto the sun heated tar paper, they cook and die.  Scatter diazanon around the edges of the paper and if the larvae make it off the paper to the ground then the pesticide kills them.

      Mike
      1/2 way between Montgomery and Mobile, Alabama