Re: [beekeeping] Digest Number 449

  • Michael Kerr
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29, 2003
      Regarding the grass, I found that laying a couple of
      feet of rolled roofing around the hive keep the grass
      and weeds down. Eliminates having to cut directly
      around the hive.

      Plus it seems to help with the hive beetles.

      --- beekeeping@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > There are 5 messages in this issue.
      >
      > Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1. Re: Will a queen mate with drones from her
      > own hive?
      > From: Ismael Carlo
      > <ismaelcarlo@...>
      > 2. Lawn mowers
      > From: "blackrat779"
      > <blackrat779@...>
      > 3. Re: Lawn mowers
      > From: "John Hamblin"
      > <johndeer@...>
      > 4. RE: Will a queen mate with drones from her
      > own hive?
      > From: "Karen D. Oland"
      > <ko_lists@...>
      > 5. RE: Lawn mowers
      > From: "Karen D. Oland"
      > <ko_lists@...>

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:37:56 -0700 (PDT)
      > From: Ismael Carlo <ismaelcarlo@...>
      > Subject: Re: Will a queen mate with drones from her
      > own hive?
      >
      > Hey, Mike. Need a little help in getting rid of a
      > nest of bees (beehive). I live in urban L.A., CA
      > I've called pest control and the Fed. Department of
      > Agriculture to no avail. I don't want them
      > destroyed just picked up and taken to where they can
      > do the best for something else, whatever that may
      > be. Please advice. Thanks
      >
      > Mike Stoops <mws@...> wrote:Nicholas
      > Primm wrote: "If a hive is very secluded and there
      > are no wild drones around, will the queen mate with
      > drones from her won hive?"
      >
      > Any queen, anywhere, will mate with the fastest
      > drones in the area, whether they are from her own
      > colony or some other colony. They do not recognize
      > any laws against incest. :)
      >
      > Mike Stoops
      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > Terms of Service.

      > [This message contained attachments]

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 20:49:32 -0000
      > From: "blackrat779" <blackrat779@...>
      > Subject: Lawn mowers
      >
      > Has anyone had problems mowing the lawn/grass near
      > their beehives? If
      > so what is your cure? Do you shut the bees in?
      > Stuart

      > Message: 3
      > Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 16:47:19 -0700
      > From: "John Hamblin" <johndeer@...>
      > Subject: Re: Lawn mowers
      >
      > I mow near my bee's just after sunset and before
      > dark, making sure my grass cutting are shooting away
      > from the hive and not at it. Usually works well,
      > did one year have some very aggressive bee's, who
      > since have been re-queened, and had to with them put
      > my bee uniform on to mow with in 3 feet of that
      > hive.
      >
      > John H.

      === message truncated ===

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • Mike Stoops
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 29, 2003
        Re: [beekeeping] Digest Number 449 >Regarding the grass, I found that laying a couple of
        >feet of rolled roofing around the hive keep the grass
        >and weeds down. Eliminates having to cut directly
        >around the hive.

        >Plus it seems to help with the hive beetles.

        Be sure the roofing paper covers both the area around the hive(s) and under the hive(s).  The beetle larvae need to pupate in the ground.  If the larvae drop down through the bottom screen board onto the sun heated tar paper, they cook and die.  Scatter diazanon around the edges of the paper and if the larvae make it off the paper to the ground then the pesticide kills them.

        Mike
        1/2 way between Montgomery and Mobile, Alabama