Help

  • joshua2br
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 6, 2009
      Lee,
      I too am a first year Bee Keeper but I did see two things in your picture. Both from the picture of the frame tops with the hive tool.

      1-You have not pushed your frames together. There is something called Bee Space. They like a small gaps between frames, not large ones. When you add frames to the super or replace them there is a method of doing so. Once all frames are in the super you need to push them all together. There are small tabs on the tops of the frames that will keep them the right distance apart. Then you want to center the whole group of frames in the super. In your photo the frames are not pushed together and the Bees to not like that so they are trying to fill in the space. Now they have built comb out so far that I don't think the frames can be pushed together. Your hive may be new enought that the rest of the frames can be pushed together before they make any more comb. Maybe if you take those two frames and turn the extened comb outward and put those frames at the two ends. There is always more room between the frames and the super box. I don't think it is a big deal in the long run.

      2-I see the white plastic strip from the Queen box hanging in the middle frame. Is the Queen box still on there? Is the Queen still in the box? If she is not in the box take it out.

      I hope others can chime in to help further. Joshua
    • Trevor
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 6, 2009
        They look alright. If you see eggs and larva then you have a queen.

        --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Lee" <blackhillspackgoats@...> wrote:

        > Could you please glance at what I have and help me know if appears AOK, headed for problems, or ...? THANK YOU for any advice at all.
        >
        > I opened my only hive yesterday at about 4-5 weeks old. Bees are consuming lots of sugared water in top feeder. There were 20-60 bees per minute arriving at entrance, with heavy filled sacks on their legs. We live in a forest, with many flower gardens in the yard.
        >
        > Upon opening, saw most bees clustered on 4 central frames. Comb joined the top inch of two inner most frames for about 4 lineal inches along the parallel top edges.
        >
        > I did not find the queen. Can you tell from the photo's if I likely have one?
        >
        > Please see photo's here. Thank you.
        > http://over-the-hillsadventures.blogspot.com/
        >
        > -Lee

      • Bill Bird
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 6, 2009
          Hmm...

          I see a lot of drone cells in there, which can be both good and bad. But, I don't see the presence of flat capped, tan, cells, which would tell you that the queen is hard at work laying eggs for the future health of your hive.

          You may not have given it enough time, although, if you have drone cells (bullet shaped cappings), there should be some female worker brood capped by now.

          You may want to give it another week. If no flat cappings show up, and you continue to see a LOT of bullet shapped cappings, that's indicative of a laying worker I'm told and that is BIG trouble (again, from what I've been told).

          If it's possible in your area, join a local beekeeping club and get thyself a mentor. That's saved my bacon, and my hive. An experienced eye will help you more than anything else.

          Bill