varroa mite? Was, pulling frames

  • Emily Cain
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 14, 2009
      On Jun 14, 2009, at 6:32 AM, Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > The first question that stands out is 2. The only time I have ever
      > heard of this happening is when you have a laying worker. Not Good!

      Could the number of eggs above one be varroa mite eggs?

      --Emily
      Poodle History Project (annotated bibliography)
      http://www.poodlehistory.org
    • Ruary Rudd
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 14, 2009
        No!, Varroa mites lay their eggs on the bee pupa in a capped cell,

        Bee eggs cannot really be mistaken for anything else.

        If there are laying workers the cappings would be very domed as the laying workers can (generally) lay only male eggs, but they lay them in worker cells. The pattern of eggs laying is patchy so if you have a solid area of brood it is far more likely to be a young queen coing into lay.

        Ruary

        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 15, 2009
          If there are two eggs in the cell, what happens? Does one of the eggs become dominant and force the other out or do they both die?

          --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Ruary Rudd" <ruaryrudd@...> wrote:

          > No!, Varroa mites lay their eggs on the bee pupa in a capped cell,
          >
          > Bee eggs cannot really be mistaken for anything else.
          >
          > If there are laying workers the cappings would be very domed as the laying
          > workers can (generally) lay only male eggs, but they lay them in worker
          > cells. The pattern of eggs laying is patchy so if you have a solid area of
          > brood it is far more likely to be a young queen coing into lay.
          >
          > Ruary

        • Barbara Lindberg
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 16, 2009

            I have two questions regarding my 2 newly established nuc hives:

            1. I did my 1 week hive inspection, queens alive and well.  My question is that some of the foundation frames that I had supplied with no built comb now have some cells in brown wax and others in white.  I thought all new built comb would be white.  Did the bees possibly take some of the comb from the nuc frames to use on the new foundation?
            2. I used the smallest entrance on my entrance reducer.  The nucs have been in place for one week.  I am feeding sugar syrup.  How long should I leave the entrance reducer on the smallest opening?

            Barbara

            Ontario, Canada

          • Ruary Rudd
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 17, 2009
              Hi Barbara,

              Are you talking about the capping on the cell or the actual cell walls?

              I suspect that you are talking of cappings.

              Brood cappings are brown semi porous in appearance and The worker brood is almost flat , The drone brood is more convex.

              Honey cappings are usually white (until stained by the bees travelling over it).

              Ruary

              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 17, 2009

                No, it’s brand new comb, and they’re not even finished building it yet so no cappings except for one row of capped honey – the comb is brown and the cappings are white.

                Barbara

                Ontario, Canada

                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 25, 2009
                  Hi Barbra
                    Congrads on getting your hives
                  Russell.
                   Ps I did something different this yr ...wow have the strongest hives I have ever seen...won't post here but willl tell you.I mean they have already produced #80  and have more supers on..looking at a average of almost 200 lbs if this keeps up....I will say this ..I started placing a queen cell in every hive the first of may and let the bees choose who they wanted...
                    I have never seen a honey yr like this one I can't keep supers on...and we haven't seen the strong nector flows yet

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 25, 2009

                    Russell, it’s good to know you’re still out there and keeping bees! J

                    I have heard that queens should be replaced often, preferably every year.  Some studies I’ve heard about are saying that the queen can transmit disease to the egg so it’s better to have a fresh queen each year.

                    Barbara

                    Ontario, Canada

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 26, 2009
                      So twice in the past week I'm observing a veritable pile-up of bees
                      completely stationary at one corner of the hive entrance. Mostly
                      outside, on the little porch. Other bees seem to still be coming and
                      going as usual but this pile-up remains, varying between about 50 bees
                      to about 200.

                      The first time it happened I opened the hive and frankly could see
                      *nothing* amiss. That day the barometer was also falling and so I
                      wondered if it were weather-connected. But today is very pleasant
                      indeed and the pile-up has happened again.

                      Does anyone know what this might be? Should I be concerned?

                      Many thanks,

                      Jeannette, first-year beekeeper on Cape Cod
                    • kennyoco
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 26, 2009
                        I noticed the same with my hive and thought the same that it was weather related. Im really not sure why they are doing this. When you find out please let Us know.
                        Thanks
                        kenny

                        --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, Jeannette <Angevine@...> wrote:

                        > So twice in the past week I'm observing a veritable pile-up of bees
                        > completely stationary at one corner of the hive entrance. Mostly
                        > outside, on the little porch. Other bees seem to still be coming and
                        > going as usual but this pile-up remains, varying between about 50 bees
                        > to about 200.
                        >
                        > The first time it happened I opened the hive and frankly could see
                        > *nothing* amiss. That day the barometer was also falling and so I
                        > wondered if it were weather-connected. But today is very pleasant
                        > indeed and the pile-up has happened again.
                        >
                        > Does anyone know what this might be? Should I be concerned?
                        >
                        > Many thanks,
                        >
                        > Jeannette, first-year beekeeper on Cape Cod

                      • Joe (Wordsmith072003)
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 26, 2009
                          If it is warm wher you are, they are probably fanning for ventilation to cool the hive

                          So twice in the past week I'm observing a veritable pile-up of bees
                          completely stationary at one corner of the hive entrance. Mostly
                          outside, on the little porch. Other bees seem to still be coming and
                          going as usual but this pile-up remains, varying between about 50 bees
                          to about 200.

                          The first time it happened I opened the hive and frankly could see
                          *nothing* amiss. That day the barometer was also falling and so I
                          wondered if it were weather-connected. But today is very pleasant
                          indeed and the pile-up has happened again.

                          Does anyone know what this might be? Should I be concerned?

                          Many thanks,

                          Jeannette, first-year beekeeper on Cape Cod

                          <*> Your email settings:
                              Individual Email | Traditional

                          <*> To change settings online go to:
                              (Yahoo! ID required)

                          <*> To change settings via email:
                              mailto:Beekeeping-digest@yahoogroups.com
                              mailto:Beekeeping-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • russell spencer
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 27, 2009
                            or is it the beginning of a swarm are bees flying in circle if a swarm is waiting for old queen to emerge from hive

                                http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Beekeeping /join
                                (Yahoo! ID required)

                            <*> To change settings via email:
                                mailto:Beekeeping-digest@ yahoogroups. com
                                mailto:Beekeeping-fullfeat ured@yahoogroups .com

                                Beekeeping-unsubscr ibe@yahoogroups. com

                                http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

                          • jason rapsis
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 27, 2009
                              --- Hi Jeannette, I've been getting that up here in NH too. If you have inspected your hive and found nothing amiss and lots of brood it could be a good thing. It means there are lots of bees and the ladies are basking on the viranda. It could also be an attempt to keep the humidity down. If you found lots of queen cells (aka swarm cells) than it could mean they might swarm. Jason.
                            • Emily Cain
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 28, 2009
                                On Jun 28, 2009, at 6:13 AM, Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                                > 1a.Re: Bee pileup? From: kennyoco1b.Re: Bee pileup? From: Joe
                                > (Wordsmith072003)1c.Re: Bee pileup? From: russell spencer1d.Re: Bee
                                > pileup? From: jason rapsis

                                I have the same at the front of both our hives, and without looking
                                to make sure, I assumed this was a gang of drones hanging out, having
                                been waved out of the busy kitchen with a wet dishtowel, so to speak.
                                --Emily
                                Poodle History Project (annotated bibliography)
                                http://www.poodlehistory.org
                              • Thomas Powell
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jul 2, 2009

                                  First year with a three hives.  Issues with one but the other two are doing great.  My question is why can’t I get them to start filling the western?  Just went into hive one (to try to help out hive two) and both deeps are full with box two having five full frames of capped honey!!  There are many bees going through the excluder and in the western but they have not done ANYTHING at all with the frames.

                                  Any ideas??  Again, this is my first year so I don’t have any drawn western frames to put up there to try and help out, just foundation.

                                  Thanks,

                                  Thomas

                                • russell spencer
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 2, 2009
                                    feed again or just wait

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jul 3, 2009

                                      If you feed when you have supers on won’t they just fill the supers with the sugar water??

                                      Thomas

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jul 4, 2009
                                        It's my first year too so I probably shouldn't talk but it sounds kind of like the problem I am having right now. I have 2 hives one is going gangbusters the other isn't moving into the new super I was nervous so I called the county inspector. She didn't come out but looked at digital pics and said that the bees were "honey bound" meaning the bees have used all of the space for honey so the queen has not enough space to lay. She won't go above a frame with honey so they swarm and stay in the small space below even though there is space above. The inspector said to add a new box between the honey and box and the brood box then put 3 or 4 frames with brood into the new box.

                                        > First year with a three hives. Issues with one but the other two are doing
                                        > great. My question is why can't I get them to start filling the western?
                                        > Just went into hive one (to try to help out hive two) and both deeps are
                                        > full with box two having five full frames of capped honey!! There are many
                                        > bees going through the excluder and in the western but they have not done
                                        > ANYTHING at all with the frames.
                                        >

                                        > Any ideas?? Again, this is my first year so I don't have any drawn western
                                        > frames to put up there to try and help out, just foundation.
                                        >

                                        > Thanks,
                                        >

                                        > Thomas

                                      • Thomas Powell
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jul 4, 2009

                                          It might help me to make sure we are talking the same thing.  Are you saying that the queen will not go up into the second deep box of your hive to start laying?  If that is so then yes I would take the two outer brood frames from the lower box and move them to the center of new deep.  This should get the queen up in the new deep right away.

                                          I am referring to the medium western box (super) which I will harvest (if they ever do anything with it).  NO queen in there since I have an excluder on.  Yesterday I did do about the same thing as we are talking about with your hive though.  I got two super frames which are drawn out and 75% full of honey from a friend.  I put one of the frames in the middle of each of my empty supers.  Let’s see if that gets them going?!

                                          Thomas

                                          It's my first year too so I probably shouldn't talk but it sounds kind of like the problem I am having right now. I have 2 hives one is going gangbusters the other isn't moving into the new super I was nervous so I called the county inspector. She didn't come out but looked at digital pics and said that the bees were "honey bound" meaning the bees have used all of the space for honey so the queen has not enough space to lay. She won't go above a frame with honey so they swarm and stay in the small space below even though there is space above. The inspector said to add a new box between the honey and box and the brood box then put 3 or 4 frames with brood into the new box.

                                          > First year with a three hives. Issues with one but the other two are doing
                                          > great. My question is why can't I get them to start filling the western?
                                          > Just went into hive one (to try to help out hive two) and both deeps are
                                          > full with box two having five full frames of capped honey!! There are many
                                          > bees going through the excluder and in the western but they have not done
                                          > ANYTHING at all with the frames.
                                          >

                                          > Any ideas?? Again, this is my first year so I don't have any drawn western
                                          > frames to put up there to try and help out, just foundation.
                                          >

                                          > Thanks,
                                          >

                                          > Thomas

                                        • Barbara Lindberg
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jul 4, 2009

                                            It seems that bees aren’t very partial to queen excluders.  The advice I’ve followed from a long time fellow beekeeper is to not use the queen excluder at first so the bees will build comb and fill it freely in the honey super.  Then later, check that the queen is below in the brood box and then add the excluder.  Now they’ll want to go through it to get to their honey.  The queen might have laid a few eggs in the honey box but they’ll hatch and once they fill it with honey the queen will stay below.

                                            I believe there are lots of beekeepers out there that don’t use excluders at all.  I’d love to hear from them….

                                            Barbara

                                            Ontario, Canada

                                            http://thebeejournal.blogspot.com/

                                            It might help me to make sure we are talking the same thing.  Are you saying that the queen will not go up into the second deep box of your hive to start laying?  If that is so then yes I would take the two outer brood frames from the lower box and move them to the center of new deep.  This should get the queen up in the new deep right away.

                                            I am referring to the medium western box (super) which I will harvest (if they ever do anything with it).  NO queen in there since I have an excluder on.  Yesterday I did do about the same thing as we are talking about with your hive though.  I got two super frames which are drawn out and 75% full of honey from a friend.  I put one of the frames in the middle of each of my empty supers.  Let’s see if that gets them going?!

                                            Thomas

                                            It's my first year too so I probably shouldn't talk but it sounds kind of like the problem I am having right now. I have 2 hives one is going gangbusters the other isn't moving into the new super I was nervous so I called the county inspector. She didn't come out but looked at digital pics and said that the bees were "honey bound" meaning the bees have used all of the space for honey so the queen has not enough space to lay. She won't go above a frame with honey so they swarm and stay in the small space below even though there is space above. The inspector said to add a new box between the honey and box and the brood box then put 3 or 4 frames with brood into the new box.

                                            > First year with a three hives. Issues with one but the other two are doing
                                            > great. My question is why can't I get them to start filling the western?
                                            > Just went into hive one (to try to help out hive two) and both deeps are
                                            > full with box two having five full frames of capped honey!! There are many
                                            > bees going through the excluder and in the western but they have not done
                                            > ANYTHING at all with the frames.
                                            >

                                            > Any ideas?? Again, this is my first year so I don't have any drawn western
                                            > frames to put up there to try and help out, just foundation.
                                            >

                                            > Thanks,
                                            >

                                            > Thomas

                                          • Bradley
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jul 4, 2009
                                              It sounds the same to me. In my case near as I can tell; the because they filled the 2nd hive body with honey the queen felt out of room and they swarmed so the reason they are not in the new super is because there are less bees
                                              Bradley-

                                              > It might help me to make sure we are talking the same thing. Are you saying
                                              > that the queen will not go up into the second deep box of your hive to start
                                              > laying? If that is so then yes I would take the two outer brood frames from
                                              > the lower box and move them to the center of new deep. This should get the
                                              > queen up in the new deep right away.
                                              >

                                              > I am referring to the medium western box (super) which I will harvest (if
                                              > they ever do anything with it). NO queen in there since I have an excluder
                                              > on. Yesterday I did do about the same thing as we are talking about with
                                              > your hive though. I got two super frames which are drawn out and 75% full
                                              > of honey from a friend. I put one of the frames in the middle of each of my
                                              > empty supers. Let's see if that gets them going?!
                                              >

                                              > Thomas

                                            • Thomas Powell
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jul 4, 2009

                                                Thank you for your advice.  From what I have read you remove the QE if the bees aren’t going through it.  I have tons of bees in the super they just aren’t doing anything.

                                                Thomas

                                                It might help me to make sure we are talking the same thing.  Are you saying that the queen will not go up into the second deep box of your hive to start laying?  If that is so then yes I would take the two outer brood frames from the lower box and move them to the center of new deep.  This should get the queen up in the new deep right away.

                                                I am referring to the medium western box (super) which I will harvest (if they ever do anything with it).  NO queen in there since I have an excluder on.  Yesterday I did do about the same thing as we are talking about with your hive though.  I got two super frames which are drawn out and 75% full of honey from a friend.  I put one of the frames in the middle of each of my empty supers.  Let’s see if that gets them going?!

                                                Thomas

                                                It's my first year too so I probably shouldn't talk but it sounds kind of like the problem I am having right now. I have 2 hives one is going gangbusters the other isn't moving into the new super I was nervous so I called the county inspector. She didn't come out but looked at digital pics and said that the bees were "honey bound" meaning the bees have used all of the space for honey so the queen has not enough space to lay. She won't go above a frame with honey so they swarm and stay in the small space below even though there is space above. The inspector said to add a new box between the honey and box and the brood box then put 3 or 4 frames with brood into the new box.

                                                > First year with a three hives. Issues with one but the other two are doing
                                                > great. My question is why can't I get them to start filling the western?
                                                > Just went into hive one (to try to help out hive two) and both deeps are
                                                > full with box two having five full frames of capped honey!! There are many
                                                > bees going through the excluder and in the western but they have not done
                                                > ANYTHING at all with the frames.
                                                >

                                                > Any ideas?? Again, this is my first year so I don't have any drawn western
                                                > frames to put up there to try and help out, just foundation.
                                                >

                                                > Thanks,
                                                >

                                                > Thomas

                                              • Dwayne
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jul 5, 2009
                                                  some QE advice.put a frame of brood above the QE that will draw more bees above it.you can also turn it sideways so there is a opening on each side the queen usely stays in the center of the hive so the workers will go around the sides more easlyalso you mite be between flows and there not building up now.

                                                  Dwayne.S
                                                • Thomas Powell
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jul 5, 2009

                                                    There isn’t any problem with the bees going through, they just aren’t doing anything.  I put a partial drawn/filled frame into the super of each hive that I got from a frame.  I will check next week to see if that stirred them up a bit.  We are still in blackberry bloom here.

                                                    Thomas