sawdust?

  • peacecorpscraig
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5, 2009
      Today we have 60 degrees so I look inside the hive and i see a sawdust/sand like substance covering the bottom board. The bees look fine and numerous, so what is this? Hope it is not bad.
      Craig
    • Dwayne
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 2009
        --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "peacecorpscraig" <craigvivian@...> wrote:

        > Today we have 60 degrees so I look inside the hive and i see a sawdust/sand like substance covering the bottom board. The bees look fine and numerous, so what is this? Hope it is not bad.
        > Craig

        its probally wax cappings from opening cells.

        Dwayne.S
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5, 2009

          --- On Thu, 3/5/09, peacecorpscraig <craigvivian@...> wrote:
          Today we have 60 degrees so I look inside the hive and i see a sawdust/sand like substance covering the bottom board. The bees look fine and numerous, so what is this? Hope it is not bad.

          Craig

          CRAIG,  Could be small chips of wax that fell as bees were uncapping honey to use in the hive.

          Mike in LA

        • The Browns
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 6, 2009
            Sounds like wax. Have you checked the frames?