Re: [Beekeeping] honey extractor

  • Mike McDonald
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 28, 2009
      What you could do is contact your county beekeepers association. Most
      beekeepers are willing to loan an extractor.

      Mike

      On Sat, 2009-02-28 at 20:47 +0000, susan_zion wrote:
      > OMG!! can I do it by hand? Is there a way to extract honey without
      > paying 700.00 to buy one? Holy moly batman. The bees are on the way
      > and
      > Idon't want to screw this up. I have beekeeping for dummies, will
      > look
      > in there but why reinvent the wheel.

    • The Browns
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009
        You could hand press the foundation, but what a mess, not to mention the loss of valuable drawn comb. Like Mike said contacting your local association is a good idea.
        JB
        What you could do is contact your county beekeepers association. Most
        beekeepers are willing to loan an extractor.

        Mike

        On Sat, 2009-02-28 at 20:47 +0000, susan_zion wrote:
        > OMG!! can I do it by hand? Is there a way to extract honey without
        > paying 700.00 to buy one? Holy moly batman. The bees are on the way
        > and
        > Idon't want to screw this up. I have beekeeping for dummies, will
        > look
        > in there but why reinvent the wheel.

      • russell spencer
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009
          Most smaller keepers enjoy teaching most will let you extract at there honey house ..and besides they are inspected....when I say smaller I mean from say 10 to 200 hives....and then there are places that will extract a semi load at abut .10 cents a lb......and they are inspected honey houses also

          What you could do is contact your county beekeepers association. Most
          beekeepers are willing to loan an extractor.

          Mike

          On Sat, 2009-02-28 at 20:47 +0000, susan_zion wrote:
          > OMG!! can I do it by hand? Is there a way to extract honey without
          > paying 700.00 to buy one? Holy moly batman. The bees are on the way
          > and
          > Idon't want to screw this up. I have beekeeping for dummies, will
          > look
          > in there but why reinvent the wheel.

        • Terence Planke
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009

            > OMG!! can I do it by hand?

            > Is there a way to extract honey without paying 700.00 to buy one?

             Suz,

              You have already received several helpful hints.

              a.  Buy an inexpensive foreign-made model.

              b.  Re-furbish an older galvanized model.

              c. Borrow one from another beekeeper

              Now comes......

              d.  Build your own.  It is NOT that hard to do.

                   I built my own, using an idea from a bush mechanic in
                   South Africa.  He used parts that were available in his
                   village to do his fabrication.

                   With a Lowes and a Home Depot in close proximity to me
                   it was much easier for me then him, I am sure.  :-)

                  The result of my efforts is I now have an extractor that
                  cost me about $ 100.    $ 40 of that cost went to a fellow
                  to heliarc (weld) some aluminum for me.   If you can get
                  that done for nothing somehow, (friend, HS shop class, etc)
                  you can really save some money.

                      Some details.

                  It is a radial design
                 Will extract 9* shallows at a time.
                 Is easy to clean up after use.
                 The cost can be greatly reduced if some used parts are used.
                 It has one moving part..... the spinner.
                 It works great.     ;-)

                     *  A regular electric drill is used to spin the frame holder.
                        My 3/8" drill will NOT handle a full load of 9 frames.
                        I had to make a choice to buy a  1/2" drill .... or....
                        cut back on the number of frames I load per cycle.
                        I cut back to 3..... equally spaced.....  take about 2 minutes
                        per 3 frames...... WIth no more hives then I have it goes
                        pretty fast.

                        The bottleneck is the uncapping routine.

                        Hope that bush mechanic is working on THAT solution.     <GRIN>

                 If this is of interest to you let me know, off list if you want.

                 I forget your location but if you or anyone, are  close to
                 the Indianapolis area, perhaps we can get together and build
                 one or more, some afternoon.    Just a thought.

                 Not sure if I have pics stored but will find or shoot some if you are
                 still curious.  I believe I can find the original website if I need to.

                                                    -=- terry -=-

          • roger
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009
              http://www.beesource.com/plans/extractor_4.htm
              has plans for 4 and 8 frame extractors roger
              Terence Planke <plater122@...> wrote:! can I do it by hand?

              >        I built my own, using an idea from a bush mechanic in
              >        South Africa.  He used parts that were available in his
              >        village to do his fabrication.
              >
              >        With a Lowes and a Home Depot in close proximity to me
              >        it was much easier for me then him, I am sure.  :-)
            • susan oakes
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009
                Thank you for the offer. I am in Eastern Washington, probably too far. I found one on ebay I am bidding on that is not making my head spin around like the exorcist. I just have to suck it up. Used my tax return for bee suits, smoker, etc. Good Golly Miss Molly am I excited.

                suz

              • Lew Best
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009

                  Should be pretty easy to find one much closer than mine; probably at least somewhere on the west coast!  I’d watch craigslist also.

                  Lew near Waco, TX

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009
                    Ok again I will insert foot...lets see I paid 1200 for my first 20 frame extractor...then I got a mentor who told me never buy new...so I advertised in lil nickle..wanted used beekeeping equipment..oh-yea...lots of answers and lots of equipment bought..for lil to nothing...75$ for a motorized 4 frame extractor...and 5 hives of bees..all doubles...sure I had to travel about 200 miles...then tried it again a few yrs later...walaaa a 60 frames extractor and complete processing honey house full of equipment...600$ ...including 2 honey pumps (food grade)
                      now I mentor some guess what 1 tried it humm 400 hive bodies in good shape...nothing wrong with them just ole beekeepers sometimes die...hobbiest get discourged...some just retire....look around you shall find what you need...nickle papers aare cheap and well a $ saved is another package this spring...GOOD LUCK

                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009
                      Terry

                      How about a short stretch of nichrome wire and a doorbell
                      transformer to make a hotwire uncapper. I doubt it would have the the
                      fortitude to handle a commercial operation but for under $20 it would
                      be quick and easy to make.

                      Van
                      East Texas

                      >             The bottleneck is the uncapping routine.
                      >
                      >             Hope that bush mechanic is working on THAT solution.
                      <GRIN>

                    • Dave Cushman
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 2, 2009
                        Hi Terry

                        > How about a short stretch of nichrome wire and a doorbell
                        > transformer to make a hotwire uncapper. I doubt it would have the the
                        > fortitude to handle a commercial operation but for under $20 it would
                        > be quick and easy to make.

                        I tried that thirty years ago... It did not work the comb absorbed so
                        much heat the wire went cold immediately.

                        I built a more robust version using a sharpened and polished hacksaw
                        blade and a huge welding transformer, but the blade glowed red hot when
                        not in contact with the comb and burnt/vapourised the honey that was on
                        it and still got too cold to cut properly when in contact with the honey.

                        Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
                        http://melliferabees.net Email: dave.cushman@...
                        Short FallBack M/c, Build 7.21/2.01
                        Son of ORAC M/c, Build 5.o1/2.o1
                      • Dwayne
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 2, 2009
                          have you tryed a modle train transformer you can ajust the temp with
                          the speed control

                          Dwayne.S

                          > > How about a short stretch of nichrome wire and a doorbell
                          > > transformer to make a hotwire uncapper. I doubt it would have
                          the the
                          > > fortitude to handle a commercial operation but for under $20 it
                          would
                          > > be quick and easy to make.
                          >
                          > I tried that thirty years ago... It did not work the comb absorbed
                          so
                          > much heat the wire went cold immediately.
                          >
                          > I built a more robust version using a sharpened and polished
                          hacksaw
                          > blade and a huge welding transformer, but the blade glowed red hot
                          when
                          > not in contact with the comb and burnt/vapourised the honey that
                          was on
                          > it and still got too cold to cut properly when in contact with the
                          honey.

                        • Terence Planke
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009

                            Then Dave said:

                            I tried that thirty years ago... It did not work the comb absorbed so
                            much heat the wire went cold immediately.

                            Now Terry say:

                               Well I had my hopes up for a short while.

                               So are we out of ideas that might work?

                               The train transformer seemed plausible but if the
                               welder transform didn't work surely the train version
                               would come up short also.

                               What is the operating principle behind a
                               store-bought hot knife.

                               I am assuming there is a resistance heater inside
                               that heats the air it is contact with which then
                               heats the exterior surface of the knife.

                               Perhaps there is some sort of heat transfer medium,
                               other than air used, ceramic, fluid, gel, etc. .

                               If that is the case they have to deal with expansion.  Hmmm!

                               The search continues.........

                                                             -=- terry -=-

                          • Lew Best

                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                                Hi Terence

                                > I am assuming there is a resistance heater inside
                                > that heats the air it is contact with which then
                                > heats the exterior surface of the knife.

                                Both ceramic and mica have been used in the past.

                                Electric uncapping knives are fairly high wattage and are surprisingly
                                slow in operation.

                                The best results I had was with a steam powered knife made from nickel
                                plated copper.

                                --
                                Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
                                http://melliferabees.net Email: dave.cushman@...
                                Short FallBack M/c, Build 7.21/2.01
                                Son of ORAC M/c, Build 5.o1/2.o1
                              • c dj
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 16, 2012
                                  9 frame kelley complete used 2 seasons ready to go to work.this peice is located in southren indiana 700 cash firm 812-390-5565