Brood builder

  • Phillip Pennartz
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 24, 2009
      Hi,
      anybody got a homebrew broodbuilder recipe? Or is that something better
      ordered from the bee suppliers? I read about feeding them bananas but
      my bees won't touch them
      thanks

      PPennartz
      North TX
    • Dwayne
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 24, 2009
        I feed my bees bananas they love them.you have to let them get real
        ripe and just split in half long ways place on top bars.

        Dwayne.S
        vernon N.Y
        2 hives
      • Peggy Willenberg
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 24, 2009
          ...or just stick them in the entrance, the bees will clean them up promptly
          and you don't have to open the hive.
          >I feed my bees bananas they love them.you have to let them get real
          > ripe and just split in half long ways place on top bars.
          >
          > Dwayne.S
          > vernon N.Y
          > 2 hives

        • Phillip Pennartz
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 27, 2009
            --- In Beekeeping@yahoogroups.com, "Dwayne" <swampratman2000@...>
            wrote:

            > I feed my bees bananas they love them.you have to let them get real
            > ripe and just split in half long ways place on top bars.
            >
            > Dwayne.S
            > vernon N.Y
            > 2 hives

            thanks, I will try the bananas again. I probably put out the yellow
            bananas that I like not the darker ones the bees like.

            I'm trying to get the hive population numbers going up so that when
            the nectar flow starts they will be well prepared. I read that
            somewhere,I think it was" George Imeries Pink Pages".

            I also have read that if the population can increase too fast and if
            a cold front blows thru that the brood can become chilled and die.
            Not enough bees to keep the brood warm. Texas weather is
            crazy ,yesterday was in the low 90's ,today is in the low 50's. Who
            knows, Next week could be frost.

            What I'm wondering is how to raise the population slowly enough to
            avoid chilled brood?

            I haven't read any guidelines on this subject other than the warning .

            Phillip Pennartz
          • Dwayne
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 28, 2009
              You think TX weather is crazy.hear in N.Y. it was 61 on
              thursday.todays low is like 9 degreas burrr.

              Dwayne.s

              vernon N.Y.
              2 hives
            • The Browns

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 1, 2009
                  well one does what one feels is best...more brood more bees...the queen will lay what the bees can cover...she is not a run away jackhammer...