I started out with 1 hive

  • mayfields22
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 23, 2008
      I was told I was pretty fortunate harvesting 35 pounds of honey my
      first year. Basically I just fed them and ignored them. Worked for
      me! :))) Next year I am expanding to 2 hives. I only wish I hadn't
      parked my first hive on a hill in the horse pasture. Having it in the
      horse pasture is fine (fenced off) but the hill is killing me. haha

      Annette
      Mukwonago Wi
    • OOWONBS@Netscape.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 25, 2008
        >I was told I was pretty fortunate harvesting 35 pounds of honey my
        first year. Basically I just fed them and ignored them. Worked for
        me! :))) Next year I am expanding to 2 hives.
        Annette
        Mukwonago Wi

        Some would say, save that honey for feeding, as re-feeding their
        own honey back IF you need to feed them at all, (really frowned
        upon by many,) is the least worst.
        BillSF9c
      • Bill Dickerson
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 30, 2008
          You get biting flies and sweat bees around horses but I've never heard of honey bees being attracted to horse sweat.

          I would think it could be an issue around cows and horses because they sometimes rub up against fence posts, trees, Etc when they get an itch.

          A bee hive would spill out, break apart but I think most will run away if attacked if nothing more than a fight or flight panic.

          MHO

          Now I could tell you stories about whip snakes and rats chewing matches and starting fires.

          I have an old Indian method for curing nail bed rot in mules/horses that involves poison ivy.

          Respectfully,
          Bill Dickerson

          On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 10:58, pgmrdan <pgmrdan@...> wrote:

          Someone else may know more about this than I do but I've read multiple
          times to not let horses near bees. Horse sweat attracts bees and when
          they start stinging horses won't run away. They just keep jumping up
          and down and keep getting stung.

          Old wive's tale? Perhaps.

          Anyone else know anything about this?

          Anyway, congratulations on the 35 pounds of honey. I got about 22
          pounds of honey from one of my first year hives. I didn't feed after
          I put on the first super.

          --
          In god we trust, all others we run NCIC
        • roger
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 31, 2008
            farmed for many yr ,had horses and cows on dairy farm. neightbor had
            bees and some hives on our farms. never had problem ,coarse never put
            hives in pasture roger NJ (note lacation as requested)

            "pgmrdan" <pgmrdan@...> wrote:

            > Someone else may know more about this than I do but I've read multiple
            > times to not let horses near bees. Horse sweat attracts bees and when
            > they start stinging horses won't run away. They just keep jumping up
            > and down and keep getting stung.

          • sherill lockwood
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 31, 2008

              --- On Wed, 12/31/08, roger <toad08551@...> wrote:

              I had horses and the bees were not in the same pasture but in the same 5 acres and I never had a problem. The horses weren't in the flight path to get to the hives but I certainly saw bees in the pasture---alfalfa, clover- all the time and never had a problem

              Sherill