Re: [Beekeeping] Digest Number 2251

  • OOWONBS@Netscape.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 7, 2008
      >we have been grinding corn on our farm.the corn choper was covered
      with
      dust from the corn.when working on the choper i noticed hundreds of
      bees packing away the cornstarch.some were even trying to pick up
      kurnels of corn.I was wondering if the bees can digest the dust or will
      it harm them.
      <Dwayne.S

      If it hurt them, they'd probably ignore it. It sounds as if they want
      to raise brood so they want pollen. Pollen has protein and some
      carbs. So does seed dust.
      BillSF9c
    • Mike Stoops
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 7, 2008
        The bees are, in fact, looking for pollen.  They are picking up the grain dust because it has the appearance of pollen.  However, this source of food is not a good pollen substitute and will produce a poor worker force if any when feed to brood.  The grain dust does not have the proper protein components to provide good nutrition to the brood.

        Mike in LA