Re: [Beekeeping] Basic information needed

  • william kinder
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 7, 2008
      hit wikipedia articles on bees and beekeeping first.

      your handiness with tools can make a difference in which type of hive to build

      any state regulations might also impact the design.

      i am not a beekeeper yet, but i am a little farther along than you are. i started my research last spring, and have read thousands of pages of material. hive and bees for next spring.

      at the very least, search langstroth hive, top bar hive, and abbe warre hive to get an idea of what has been successful. other search topics would be nuc bees(nucleus), package(d) bees, swarm attracting, swarm capturing, bee diseases, bee parasites, varroa mites.

      not trying to put you off, but based on my research, you can't just buy a hive, buy some bees, and step back.

      my plan is a simple pollination colony. i don't really want to harvest honey or wax.

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 7, 2008
          Beekeeping for Dummies is a great book, also:
          Micheal Bush' website http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm
          Beesource Beekeeping Forums http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php
           and Ive heard ABC and XYZ of Beekeeping (or something like that) is a great book although I havent read it. I also am just getting started (picking up my equipment in 3 weeks) and have found the above resources really helpful. I would also suggest getting involved in your local Beekeepers Association. The Beesource forums have a list of the different associations and contact info for most of them on the site. Good luck!!

          -=Sarah

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 7, 2008
            thank you for your reply, it helps.  I'll follow up on some of those leads and see where I get.

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 7, 2008
              Ha ha, too funny.  Thank you for your reply.  I'll follow up.

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 7, 2008
                I am sorry I forgot to mention that book. Sarah is right it is a very good book for beginners, and a great reference book. As for ABC, XYZ in Beekeeping. The book is very technical, and a lot of the material is outdated. It is written like a dictionary/encyclopedia, but I have the book, and read it from time to time. The book has been republished many times so if you want to get the book check to see which issue it is.

              • OOWONBS@Netscape.net
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 8, 2008
                  Dear I wonder/Bryan, (?)
                  I agree with William K.
                  Stay here, to learn the most advanced, yet basic art of bee keeping.
                  Benign neglect, LOL! Well,, to learn understanding then, and how
                  to raise drug-free bees. LOL!
                  Look to the left column for pics, links, files.
                  Try not to be overwhelmed. But it is addictive.

                  Here are links to the lists he mentioned...:

                  175 members, v nice folks who study & help
                  simplest hive to make, 99% drugfree
                  I have converted this to english measurements.
                  Whole 150 pg 8Meg ebook, free. Teaches basics.
                  Probably a 2-3 eve read... LOL!

                  373 members, the "new-standard" TBH/Top Bar Hive
                  Good enough list

                  (bigger is not always better ;>)

                  374 members. V good. Catching free bees, raising drug-free.

                  Last & least, my list. Same pollination b4 honey thrust.
                  For comparison, while no-drug is advocated, discussion of it is allowed.
                  New, just 30 members.

                  BillSF9c

                  >---william k <wkinder@wrote:
                  >your handiness with tools can make a difference in which type of hive
                  to build
                  <snip>
                  >at the very least, search langstroth hive, top bar hive, and abbe
                  warre hive
                  > to get an idea of what has been successful.
                  > ... based on my research, you can't just buy a hive,
                  buy some bees, and step back. my plan is a simple pollination colony.
                  i don't really want to harvest honey or wax.

                  >>I've been reading through the posts, and it's obvious many of you are
                  deeply involved with bees. I am a gardener who would like to start his
                  own bee hive in his yard to better pollinate and to collect honey. Can
                  anyone direct me to a few web sites that I can read to get me started
                  on what type of bees to select, what type of box to build, and how to
                  get started? I realize that this is rather basic for most of you but
                  if anyone can tolerate my ignorance it would be a big help.
                • russell spencer
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 8, 2008
                    I have be...en watching this post and have watched many similar...Folkds not being RUDE not being mean...Just realistic...I read I worked my butt off..I watched lots of vidio...thinking YEPP i is a bee keeper. So went bought 60 hives....Oh yea now I is a beekeeper...YEA right...I promptly killed all 60 hives within a yr...not because of anything but lack of hands on experince with a established beekeeper....Folks as I have said on many times before ..
                    <<<<<<FIND A MENTOR>>>work for free..whatever...knowone can read all the books every beekeeper is part of a stubborn lot..has his or her own way ..you will do what you think is right only after you gain the knowlage of a experinced beekeeper.It matters not if you run 1 hive or 1000 no-boby has all the answers...nor will you find them in books...It is a hands on thing...and a extrem love for what you are doing and what makes you happy while you are in the bee yards...organic---natural---meds---it is a personnel dissision...YOU must make...
                     As to the post about corn starch..yes I have seen it many times...I have found it many times in hive...the bees plug out there hive..with corn dust then later you find it discrded and replaced with pollen or nector..but the down fall is..when the bees plug out they leave no room for eggs....hence no brood weak hive....A voice of experince ..where are you going to read this...Hint FIND A MENTOR..
                     Hey folks have a great day
                    Ruussell

                    http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Organicbee keepers

                    http://uk.groups. yahoo.com/ group/warrebeeke eping

                    http://pets. groups.yahoo. com/group/ TopHive/
                    373 members, the "new-standard" TBH/Top Bar Hive
                    Good enough list

                    http://pets. groups.yahoo. com/group/ Beekeeping/ 2200+ members
                    (bigger is not always better ;>)

                    http://pets. groups.yahoo. com/group/ FeralBeeProject
                    374 members. V good. Catching free bees, raising drug-free.

                    http://pets. groups.yahoo. com/group/ GardenBees

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 13, 2008
                      I want to Thank Russel Spencer for bringing it to my attention of
                      having a Mentor. I have more then One Mentor and Russel is one of them.
                      I have read many books on beekeeping and don't find the answers in the
                      books that I get from all me Mentors.One of my Mentors has four rules
                      on Learning Rule 1: If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning
                      anything. Rule 2: If you're not confused, you're not learning anything.
                      Rule 3: Real learning is not facts, it is relationships. Rule 4: It's
                      not so important what you know as it is that you know how to find out.
                      I think these four rules are very good and number Four puts me at
                      Finding information out from Mentors is and has Been wonderful!
                      Thank you to all my Mentors.
                    • Dwayne
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 16, 2008
                        I would like to diddo the coment from glenn.A mentor si by far the most
                        important tool you can have.the first thing my mentor told me was when
                        you become a beekeeper you look at every thing around you deferent and
                        he was right.never have I noticed soo meny deferent plants in my
                        life.most old beekeepers are more then willing to share info with you.

                        Dwayne.S
                      • russell spencer
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 24, 2008
                          Thanks Glen and keep growing looking forward to having you out on the almonds next year
                          Russell