Left Field

  • dickerson888
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 23, 2008
      I know this is out of left field but If I built a hive from clear
      glass.............

      How would the react?

      Do they need the dark?

      I have seen Beekeepers who use a frame with bees in a glass display to
      attract people to sell their honey.

      I remember seeing a larger display at a fair.

      Would they eventually ignore the light or would this over stress the bees?

      Respectfully,
      Bill Dickerson
    • The Browns

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 30, 2008
          If you had an entire hive, could you put boxes around it when you
          don't want to look, to override the bad thermal properties of glass?

          There's a Warre hive made entirely of glass at the bottom of this page:

          http://blog.permacultureglobalreport.com/2008/01/on-my-way-to-sustainable-beekeeping.html

          My apologies in advance if the URL wraps. Whatever you think of the
          hive style, it's a beaut of a observation hive.
        • Mike McDonald
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 31, 2008
            A friend has a hive similar to what you are describing. It's inside his
            "honey house" and he used it often to display to school children who
            would come to learn about bees. The hive has two deep hive bodies and (I
            think) four supers and is built entirely from plexiglass. The entrance
            extends through the wall of the house to the outside. He has a cabinet
            on wheels that allows him to completely cover the hive.

            If you are thinking about keeping it outside, that's another matter. The
            sunlight through the glass will melt the wax combs.

            Mike

            On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 03:17 +0000, dickerson888 wrote:
            > I know this is out of left field but If I built a hive from clear
            > glass.............
            >
            > How would the react?
            >
            > Do they need the dark?
            >
            > I have seen Beekeepers who use a frame with bees in a glass display to
            > attract people to sell their honey.
            >
            > I remember seeing a larger display at a fair.
            >
            > Would they eventually ignore the light or would this over stress the
            > bees?

          • billsf9c
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 31, 2008
              Subject: Re: [Beekeeping] Left Field
              Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 19:27:46 -0400

              I have been made to understand by the listowner there,
              (all the list folks are nice) that it is covered with a wood
              cover of some simple type.
              Lexan is scratch resistant plexiglas and plexi is more
              thermally resistant than glass in terms of conduction.

              BillSF9c
              by: "Ben F
              If you had an entire hive, could you put boxes around it when you
              don't want to look, to override the bad thermal properties of glass?

              Here's a Warre hive made entirely of glass. Whatever you think of the
              hive style, this is a beautiful piece of work:
              http://blog.permacultureglobalreport.com/2008/01/on-my-way-to-sustainable-beekeeping.html