Re: [Beekeeping] help with used hive

  • OOWONBS@Netscape.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2008
      I lean strongly, if imperfectly, toward organicism.
      And on an organicbees list, bleach was in disfavor.
      IFD you use it, no odor may remain. Time, or an oven will
      help that, but do rinse it off after a few minutes also.
      Sooner if full strength, after several minutes if 10% solution is used.

      Sun, or UV, was mentioned, but that's time consuming, or
      requires lights be purchased. A 200F (preheated) oven comes
      to mind, and Warre' hive owners often scorch hive bodies for
      weather/rot resistance.

      Hippoctates, father of medicine, used UV/sun as a cure-all.
      Ozone would be great, but like bleach, won't reach under wax
      etc, so heat is a good thing. Aquariums use ozone (UV) lights.
      Most thpough are geared toward a closed pipe enviorment.
      I am unsure you could open them easily. But also see electronics,
      for germicidal lamps, used to erase eproms. They are like
      small florescents. Any of us cousl rig them up. Do NOT stare
      at them...! They are nano-suns.
      BillSF9c